Monitor.co.ug: Speed up border demarcation, Moyo leaders urge government

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 00:24:42 +0200

Speed up border demarcation, Moyo leaders urge government

There have been fights over ownership of land on either side of the border resulted in violence between Moyo residents and those of Kojokeji in South Sudan

By SCOVIN ICETA & CLEMENT ALUMA
Tuesday August 9 2016

MOYO- Moyo District leaders have petitioned Vice President Edward Kiwanuka Ssekandi over the delayed re-demarcation and remarking of the border between Uganda and South Sudan.

Fights over ownership of land on either side of the border resulted in violence between Moyo residents and those of Kojokeji in South Sudan in 2014.

Mr Williams Anyama, the district chairman, while presenting the petition to the vice president at the weekend, said the delay has caused untold suffering to the people.

“We appeal to government to expedite the compensation of the 2014 border conflict victims and the demarcation of the border line,” Mr Anyama said.

He also criticised recent government plans to summon district leaders to make statements at police over the 2014 violence.

“There is need to give peace a chance to be mediated by the elders, religious and cultural leaders as well as civil society organisations that have already initiated the process. We think that prosecution may not be the best thing in the interest of peace,” Mr Anyama said.

Last month, police in Kampala summoned MPs Hassan Kaps Fungaro (Obongi County), Mr Tom Aza (Moyo West MP), Ann Auru (former Moyo Woman) and former district chairman Jimmy Vukuni to make statements over the incidents.

Mr Ssekandi said he would present the petition to Cabinet with a view to presenting it to Parliament.
“I have heard your concerns and I will inform the President about it,” he said.

editorial_at_ug.nationmedia.com