What 'Jungle' Migrants Really Want From UK

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 13:04:33 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.964eagle.co.uk/news/world-news/1897393/what-jungle-migrants-really-want-from-uk/
What 'Jungle' Migrants Really Want From UK

25th February 2016

A former British soldier who has been volunteering at the 'Jungle' refugee camp in Calais for the last seven months has been speaking to Sky News about his experiences.

Dave King has been answering questions about the refugees, and debunking some of the myths surrounding the camp:

:: How many people are in the jungle and where are they from?

When I first came to the jungle in August 2015, there were 3,000 people there. Now there are up to 6,000. They’re almost entirely from Africa (many from Sudan and Eritrea) and the Middle East and the majority of them have arrived within the last six months; they have no understanding of a Northern European winter. You’ve seen all the flip-flops, right?!

:: Have they just come in the hope that they can get access to benefits within the UK's welfare system?

It’s a myth to think they are chasing UK benefits. They have absolutely no knowledge of the UK welfare system. They come because they have family here. They come because they speak the language. They come because for centuries, Britain has been seen as the home of all that is good and decent; because for centuries, the British have been telling people that. Their entire experience of Brits is from our soldiers, who tend to be good eggs and from volunteers in the Jungle, who feed them, give them warm clothing and build them shelters. Naturally, they think we’re top chaps; why wouldn’t they?!

The ignorance among those in the Jungle is astonishing. People rock up having travelled all the way across Europe, with no knowledge of the asylum laws; many of them think they’ll be in Trafalgar Square the next day.

I’ve been telling people for weeks to get out of Calais. The border is becoming more secure and attitudes are hardening.

:: Why don’t they apply for asylum in France?

They don’t speak French. They’re at constant risk of being attacked by local fascist groups in Calais; the police they encounter here wear intimidating ISIS-style face masks, hit them with pepper spray or rubber bullets and launch unprovoked tear gas grenade attacks into family areas at night. Under these circumstances, where would you want to live?

I have had brutal conversations trying to explain to the migrants that the volunteers they encounter do not represent all Brits. Many don’t welcome refugees and don’t want them in Britain.
It’s just one more layer of frustration to the whole horrific situation.

:: What's your background and involvement with the jungle?

A million years ago I was in the British Army. Now I work for a US corporate. I spent two weeks working in the Jungle last summer and have since returned most weekends. I take caravans which have been donated for use by refugee families. A group of us have set up an aid operation called "Jungle Canopy".

:: What do you make of the plan to demolish half of the camp?

The Southern half of the camp (the area marked for demolition) is more densely populated and includes almost all the infrastructure that has developed over the last six months, as well as two thirds of the population. The following would be destroyed: the Women and Children’s Centre, the Youth Centre, three mosques, the Orthodox church, three schools, the Jungle Books library, the Good Chance theatre, the Legal Centre, the Vaccination Centre and three hot food distribution points.
The authorities say this will affect between 800 and 1,000 people. This is not true. A headcount last week showed over 3,400 would be made homeless, including most of the 290 unaccompanied minors.

:: The authorities have provided alternative accommodation in the northern half of the camp. What's wrong with that?

There’s no physical room in the northern half for everyone to relocate and everyone knows that the noose will be further tightened, immediately, so people are staying put. No-one sees any point in moving, this time. The French riot police are already deployed in force and have water cannon ready.

:: The authorities say they have 700 places available in the shipping containers. Why won't the refugees and migrants use these?

They’re dormitories with no privacy and no storage. There is no cooking in the compound. People want to gather as families or communities and cook/eat together. One hot meal is provided per day which means hours of queuing. Critically, the containers are in a secure compound, accessed via a hand-scan. People are suspicious. If they’re finger-printed, they can’t claim UK asylum if they make it across.

The authorities assure that this is not fingerprinting, but there is extreme distrust of this assertion. The containers bear a stark resemblance to a concentration camp.

:: The authorities have also said that the refugees could disperse to 102 winter respite centres (CAOs) set up around France. Isn't this a solution?

The conditions in the CAOs sound okay to me but the refugees don’t want to be scattered around France. There’s a reason they are in Calais; not just to try to make it to the UK, but also to be with their communities.

It seems likely that the destruction of the Jungle will result in loads of temporary encampments along the coast. No town will want to risk a “new” Jungle, so people will not be allowed to establish themselves. They will be hounded.

If the Jungle is razed, the residents will have absolutely nothing left to lose. Desperate people sometimes do bad things. They will be freezing and starving. They are already abandoned by the
French and British governments; now we are talking about destroying all that they have left - their community.

This is no solution.