Madote.com: [Video] Eritrea gained significant support at the UNSC Eritrea Somalia Sanctions debate

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 23:18:55 +0100
February 19, 2016
Eritrea gained significant support at the UNSC Eritrea Somalia Sanctions debate. The following are excerpts from the debate:
Watch it:
https://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1722935254001/?bctid=4762620696001&autoStart=false&secureConnections=true&width=760&height=430

*The Russian Federation said: "...with respect to Eritrea, we are pleased to note that the Monitoring Group found no evidence that the Eritrean government is supporting the armed group Al-Shabab. There is still no provision of convincing evidence which would point to the country conducting destabilizing activities. Here we think attempts to strengthening pressure on Asmara are counter productive. We once again call on the Monitoring Group to use in its reports only verified information."

*France admits "Eritrea doesn't support any armed groups in the Horn of Africa".

*United States noted Eritrea cooperation necessary condition for future sanctions lifting

*Angola calls for the Monitoring Group to strictly adhere to mandate and not arbitrarily extend it

*Angola noted that SEMG has no evidence of  Eritrea aiding Al Shabaab, says UNSC should act accordingly

*China says Eritrea doesn't support armed groups or Al-Shabab, Adjust sanctions

*Venezuela stressed there is no link between Eritrea and Al-Shabab

*Venezuela calls for reconsideration of sanctions against Eritrea as the two reasons for sanctions (alleged support for al-Shabab and Djibouti conflict) no longer exist

*Venezuela calls for the Monitoring Group to strictly adhere to mandate and not arbitrarily extend it

* Venezuela Just informed the UNSC that the Sanctions Committee will visit Eritrea to discuss sanctions with President Isaias Afwerki

*Venezuela said the debate highlighted that the Monitoring Group has provided false and uncorroborated evidence

*Venezuela said SEMG goes beyond its mandate in commenting on Ethiopia Eritrea issues