Derby cyclist's family say they are 'paralysed by grief and pain' - as lorry driver admits guilt

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 11:55:11 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-cyclist-s-family-say-8220-paralysed-grief/story-28706952-detail/story.html

Derby cyclist's family say they are 'paralysed by grief and pain' - as lorry driver admits guilt

By awalsh | Posted: February 10, 2016

A lorry driver has admitted killing a city cyclist – leaving the victim’s family “paralysed by grief and pain”.

James Stevenson hit Samuel Tsehay in Osmaston Road, Derby.

Stevenson, 27, was about to turn into Shaftesbury Street when his tipper truck collided with the cyclist.

He later admitted he did not see Mr Tsehay, 23.

The student had only been living in Derby for a year and had been trying to build a new life for himself after trekking through the Sahara Desert to escape war-torn Eritrea.

When the accident happened on May 2, 2014, Mr Tsehay was on his way to his English class.

Mr Tsehay, of Marlborough Road, Allenton, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Stevenson admitted causing death by careless driving. He changed his plea to guilty on the day his trial was due to begin on Tuesday.

A defence statement handed to the judge by Stevenson’s lawyer said: “He was indicating to turn left for up to seven seconds - because of the size of his vehicle he had to move to his right before turning left. As he turned left the deceased cycled down the defendant’s near side, colliding with the defendant’s lorry. At no stage did he see the deceased.”

The lawyer said: “It was momentary inattention.”

After the guilty plea at Derby Crown Court, Mr Tsehay’s sister Helen Mokennen said: “I feel numb, paralysed by grief and pain.

“The defendant should have said ‘I’m guilty’ the first time he was in court. If he had driven carefully our brother wouldn’t have died. But now, whatever he says it doesn’t change anything for us. Our lives will never be the same. I didn’t just lose a brother he was like a son to me.

“We are a close-knit family and losing Samuel has inflicted unbearable emotional and physical consequences.

“Since the crime, I have been unable to sleep at night and am constantly afraid of going out, especially to the site of the accident.”

Mrs Mokennen and other members of Mr Tsehay’s family have now moved to London from Derby, where they lived for 10 years, because they could not bear to be in the city where he died.

Mr Tsehay, who worked as a cleaner at Quad and Swindell & Pearson solicitors in Derby, was riding to his regular college English class when he was killed.

Mrs Mokennen, 37, said: “Samuel was ambitious, vibrant, loved by many, gentle and had made quite a lot of plans to pursue his life in the UK. He had so much to live for.”

She said she was extremely grateful to a witness who had come forward and to people who had tried to help Mr Tsehay at the scene.

Stevenson, of East Nelson Street, Heanor, will be sentenced at Derby Crown Court on March 15.