SRF : Swiss politicians are on a private trip in Eritrea

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 19:14:13 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.srf.ch/news/regional/aargau-solothurn/hochuli-in-eritrea-heikle-reise-mit-chancen

Published: 8:02:16
Hochuli in Eritrea: Tricky travel opportunities?

The Green Aargauer Councillor Susanne Hochuli and other Swiss politicians are on a private trip in Eritrea. You want to make yourself a picture of the situation in the African country. Criticism of it there from the left side, at the Aargauer SVP but one also sees an opportunity.

He would not himself traveled to Eritrea, the Aargauer SVP President Thomas Burgherr says on request of Radio SRF. Although politicians are traveling for personal reasons, it would be perceived as an official representative of Switzerland, and it was a delicate matter.

If the impressions of the trip but would properly evaluated, this could already be useful. He was curious to see what the Aargauer asylum director say, when it is back in Switzerland.

Burgherr wants "on Sunday Switzerland» afflict on their testimony in what Eritrea, contrary to expectations, the North Korea of ​​Africa was not Hochuli. He hoped that the Aargau now make pressure in Federal Bern and refuses to admit asylum seekers from "apparently secure" countries like Eritrea.

No sympathy bonus for travel

Only because of Eritrea Travel've Councillor Susanne Hochuli still brought no points in the SVP, as party president Thomas lord. This would only happen if the Aargau would change its asylum policy. but this he entertain serious doubts, so lord.

The Swiss Eritrea travel group will take a position on their return and make demands for dealing with asylum seekers from the African country, according to newspaper reports.

Besides Councillor Susanne Hochuli the Aargauer SP-National Councillor Yvonne Feri is on the Eritrea-private travel. The SVP is represented by the National Council of Zug Thomas Aeschi.

Criticism of the trip there from the left side. The Geneva SP National Carlo Sommaruga warned in "day-Aneziger", the statement of Hochuli, after which Eritrea is not comparable with North Korea will be used by asylum opponents.

http://www.watson.ch/Schweiz/International/404296560-SP-Nationalr%C3%A4tin-Feri-meldet-sich-aus-Eritrea--%C2%ABWir-waren-ohne-Aufpasser-unterwegs%C2%BB

SP National Councillor Feri calling from Eritrea: "We were without minders traveling»

SP National Councillor Yvonne Feri has reported after a day in Eritrea via Whatsapp. The Swiss parliamentarians could move freely, she says.

Published: 8:02:16, 15:47 Updated: 02/08/16, 17:34

People talk a lot about the journey of the Swiss politician group with Greens Councillor Susanne Hochuli and SP-National Councillor Yvonne Feri to Eritrea.

>From the trip itself but little is known so far only reported Hochuli in her column in the "Sunday newspaper" from Eritrea.

After criticism from refugee aid and SP Councillor Pascale Bruderer reported in "Tages-Anzeiger" on Monday also SP National Carlo Sommaruga to speak.

Hochulis utterance in Eritrea ruled no North Korean relations were "embarrassing". "The fact that it allows itself after just one week in the country, accompanied by the authority to judge the states in Eritrea, is scandalous," Sommaruga said, is the member of the foreign policy commission of the National Council.

Hochuli rejected the accusations against the "Tages-Anzeiger" back and stressed that the tour group was able to move freely, "I was never once accompanied by the Authority or the honorary consul, when I talked to people. Therefore, I correct the image of North Korea Africa. More I did not say to the circumstances in the country, "she was quoted as saying. For further inquiries Hochuli is not available.

But the az reached Yvonne Feri, who arrived in Eritrea on Sunday. She describes her first impressions via Whatsapp. "I have held talks with various people. These tell very open about the country and the policy. "Feri writes, they speak English with their interlocutors, previously were needed no translator.

"I'm here for one day, so I can not say much," she notes. However, the SP-National Councillor has the impression that the country put in a strong development phase. "For example, new banknotes were printed on this year, the old have been replaced." In addition, the minimum wage had been adjusted.

On the question of the further program of the group writes Feri, on Monday stood a ride on the country and on the border with Ethiopia. And she sends a photo showing a village just outside the capital Asmara.

"We were without Honorary Consul Toni Locher Road", Yvonne Feri writes. Previously was criticized because Locher care best relations with the Eritrean Government, he could out of the visitors Switzerland show too positive and thus false picture of the country.

(Software translation)