Aftenposten : Eritrea's embassy: - Eritrea does not violate human rights

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 16:59:02 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/Eritreas-ambassade---Eritrea-bryter-ikke-menneskerettighetene-8343858.html

Eritrea's embassy: - Eritrea does not violate human rights

OLGA STOKKE

UPDATED: 04.FEB. 2016 3:35 P.M. PUBLISHED: 04.FEB. 2016 3:35 P.M.

Eritrean authorities reject all criticism against the country. No Eritreans who have returned to Eritrea's ever been punished, they say. They also believe that the UN report on human rights violations in Eritrea is wrong and unfair.

Eritrean Embassy in Stockholm answering criticism of "withdrawal form" and on allegations of human rights violations posited in the report of the UN commission of inquiry to Eritrea. The report was published in June last year.

- Criticism is flawed and unfair, says Sirak Bahlbi, Communications at the Eritrean embassy in Stockholm.

Aftenposten cited Wednesday a controversial "withdrawal form" that all Eritreans must sign upon return to the country, and criticism in the UN report .

Norway agreed with Eritrea to send an observer to the country. State Secretary Joran Kallemyr (FRP) in the Ministry of Justice are familiar with the form, and said on Wednesday Aftenposten that it is one of the reasons that Norway does not return migrants to Eritrea as the situation now. But he believes that Norway will gain better insight into the conditions of an observer in Eritrea.

Eritreans tops with Syrians statistics on the number of asylum seekers coming to Norway. To date, nine out of ten Eritreans granted a residence permit in Norway.

accept punishment

The form that all Eritreans must sign when they return to Eritrea, ends thus:

"I regret having committed an offense by failing two fulfill my national Obligation and That I am willing two accept the APPROPRIATE Measures When Decided."

Activist Meron Estefano, one of the initiators of the International Commission on Eritrean Refugees (ICER), who with his weekly radio program on the critical regime radio station Radio Erena hit Eritreans worldwide, is highly critical of the form

- Eritreans who have fled, are considered traitors. They must sign that they have betrayed their country and that they are willing to take the punishment that may come.

Estefano said on Wednesday Aftenposten that there are cases of people being sent to prison, that people "disappearing" and that people fleeing the country again.

Sirak Bahlbi, Communications in Eritrea's embassy in Stockholm - the country has no embassy in Norway - rejects the criticism:

- No one has ever been punished, he said.

Bahlbi says that all Eritreans must, as a formality, fill out the form.

- If someone has left the country illegally, they will sign and accept any future punishment. There must be some sort of punishment if people have left the country illegally. But no one has ever been punished.

- But critics say that people are punished upon return?

- There's no evidence for it. In fact, many Eritreans returned to Eritrea and return to Norway after signing this form. You journalists have to find out if anyone has been punished after they signed this form. Critics use it for various reasons, those wishing to stay in Norway must find such things. They know that the only reason to live legally in Norway, is to say that they are punished in Eritrea. This is no secret, but many do not dare to say it.

The embassy spokesperson says that form is to clarify who the Eritreans or not, and who travels legally and illegally.

Landinfo writes in a report that relations between Eritrea and Ethiopia is so excited that refugees must take illegally across the border.

- We must ensure us information on all that we provide services to, and that we capture any illegal activity. This form ensures us that people who have committed criminal acts, not getting away with it.

He says the Scandinavian authorities every day sends Eritreans to the embassy to clarify whether they are Eritreans.

- People talk freely

Both Meron Estefano and Eritrea researcher Professor Kjetil Both Tronvoll at International Law and Policy Institute, has questioned whether observers get The supply to prisons and accurate information about the condition.

- People talk freely in Eritrea, it is my experience that this Bahlbi.

- What will an observer see?

- Reality. It is better to see the country from the inside than from the outside.

- Will the person gain access to prisons?

- I can not comment, it depends on the situation.

- Can Eritrean media criticize the regime?

- People talk freely, but for the media, the situation is different because of the security situation, says Bahlbi.

Rejects UN criticism

UN commission of inquiry to Eritrea did not visit the country. The report notes that the Eritrean authorities are committing systematic and extensive human rights violations, and that some of the abuses could be considered crimes against humanity. The compulsory military service is referred to as slave labor and exploitation - with no end date.

Aftenposten met last fall Eritrean Fanus (19) who fled Eritrea partly because of military service. Fanus survived miraculously a dramatic escape and kidnapping in the Sahara, and a dødseilas the Mediterranean where 366 other people drowned. She is now in Sweden. Aman Debesay (25) told Aftenposten about six years in prisons and military camps, before he managed to escape.

- Criticism is false and utrettferdig. The report does not present an accurate picture of Eritrea. We have no systematic or widespread violations of human rights. It does not happen. Torture is unacceptable. If that should occur, it will be treated in a proper way.

- Anyone heading to Eritrea, though there are Norwegians or others can see that none of this happens. UN Security Council have been manipulated by the United Nations to impose sanctions against our small country, and now the UN commission of inquiry issued a politically motivated investigation of human rights in Eritrea.

- Eritrea's military service being criticized. According to the UN report exposes the people to slavery and exploitation indefinitely?

- It does not happen. But military service is necessary to protect us against Ethiopia - backed by the United States - as we soon 18 years have been in conflict with. The conflict with Ethiopia and US pressure on Eritrea is one of the reasons why many young Eritreans are leaving the country, but no one talks about it.

- Criticism from the UN is unacceptable. It is based on 550 individuals seeking asylum in other countries, it is unfair and wrong.

- Why did not Eritrea UN commission of inquiry access to the country?

- Eritrea does not recognize investigative commission. Studies that UNHCR pays to individual countries, is a violation of UN principles of impartiality, obektivitet and non-selectivity, and does not lead to better human rights.

- Eritrea is often referred to as Africa's North Korea. Your comment?

- We do not know North Korea except through the media. But Norwegian authorities who visited Eritrea has even said that it is wrong to compare Eritrea with North Korea. Eritrea has been independent for only 25 years, in 18 of those with conflicts and unfair treatment of major countries like USA. But we are working hard to create a country that can serve its people.

- How would you describe the situation in Eritrea?

- We have to fight to defend our sovereignty. We are trying hard to develop the country, we invest in security, infrastructure and economic growth to improve living conditions. We are now beginning to reap the fruits of this.

(Software translation)