Sudantribune.com: Machar vows to resolve outstanding issues with President Kiir in Juba

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 20:41:58 +0200

Machar vows to resolve outstanding issues with President Kiir in Juba

By Tesfa-Alem Tekle

April 10, 2016 (ADDIS ABABA) – South Sudan’s First Vice President designate and SPLM in Opposition leader, Riek Machar, on Saturday has pledged to resolve after his return the outstanding issues that hinder the full implementation of the peace agreement.

JPEG - 20.5 kb
First Vice President designate, Riek Machar, briefs South Sudanese in Nairobi, 26 March 2016 (ST Photo)

In a public briefing meeting attended by hundreds of South Sudanese in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, Machar said he would dedicate his efforts, to settle a number of issues including the question of 28 states, once he returned back to the capital, Juba on 18 April.

He said the issue of 28 states, the continued war and the lack of funds that are needed to implement the peace agreement are the main issues that will be addressed in Juba following the formation of the transitional government of national unity.

“With these three issues [mentioned above] unresolved, I decided I must do something because violations won’t stop by themselves, the 28 states will not cancel by themselves alone and the money will not come while I am in Addis Ababa” he said bringing the crowd to laughter.

He added that is why “Some days ago, I told the world that by the 18th of this month I will be in Juba so that we will solve these problems,” he said.

He went further to add that the 28 states will be shared but not on tribal bases.

The proposal made by the SPLM-IO is based on the former 21 states which were established by the British.

Despite the permanent ceasefire declared in August 29, Machar said clashes are still taking places in Equatoria and Bahar El Ghazal states.

“If the fighting is continuing because I am in Addis Ababa or in Pagak. I will be in Juba and let us see who is going to continue the fighting,” he said.

With regard to the lack of funds he said those who are holding the money must release it once he returns to Juba in order implementation of peace agreement is facilitated.

The SPLM-IO has deployed its advance team to the capital more than four months ago.

According to the opposition leader, security situation has seen an improvement since the arrival of the first 40-meber advance team but violation hasn’t yet stooped.

Machar said the total number of opposition troops deployed in Juba will reach 1,370 by Sunday April 10th 2016.

SOUTH SUDAN REFUGEES

With regard to the south Sudanese refugees in Ethiopia he said it is among the important issues that should be addressed in Juba.

“If you are a refugee in Ethiopia and you want to continue; you wait for what we will tell you to do because we want you to go home and resettled” he said.

Machar promised that he will work to design a program for their resettlement that will make refugees happy.

However, he said the South Sudan refugees in South Sudan who are sheltered under the UN protection in UNMISS camps will be the ones to be handled first.

Also, Machar said he will make sure the refugees in neighbouring countries are all brought back home before the end of the 18-months long transitional government so as they will be able to participate in elections, in reconciliation and healing process as well as in nation building.

He said the returnees will also be witnesses to committed crimes against humanity.

According to the peace agreement, Compensation will also be done for the losses citizens have had during conflict.

Riek Machar will be back in the capital Juba on April 18 and thereafter will form with President Kiir the Transitional Government and hold the Transitional National Council of Ministers to completely arrest the conflict.

Brokered by the regional bloc Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), South Sudan warring factions clinched a peace deal in August to end the nearly two-year-long civil war.