StandardMedia.co.ke: Kenya turns to United Nations for funds after Europe cuts Amisom budget

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 22:05:45 +0100
Kenya turns to United Nations for funds after Europe cuts Amisom budget

By Protus Onyango
Wednesday, March 23rd 2016 at 18:57 GMT
Cabinet secretary for defense Raychelle Omamo urges United Nations to add more funds to Amisom soldiers in Somalia to fight terrorism on 23/3/2016 during the meeting of High Commissioners/Ambassadors to Kenya at the International Peace Support Training Centre (IPSTC) Karen. [PHOTO BY EDWARD KIPLIMO].

The Government has asked the United Nations to fund Amisom troops. Defence Cabinet Secretary Raychelle Omamo said Amisom troops urgently require funding because the European Union (EU), which was one of the main financiers, has reduced its funding. "There is a huge gap in funding as the EU last year slashed its funding by 20 per cent and this has affected the troops' operations," Ms Omamo said. Speaking at the International Peace Support Training Centre in Karen, Nairobi when she met High Commissioners, Ambassadors and Defence attaches accredited to Kenya, the CS said terrorism was a global threat that should be tackled through co-operation. "We need a united approach to fight insecurity posed by terrorists and other international crimes. That is why we are calling on the UN to fund our operations in Somalia. It is the wish of countries that have contributed troops to Somalia that UN treats the Amisom force as like any other UN force," Ms Omamo said.