Airmen’s bodies to be flown back to UAE later today

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 16:28:37 +0000 (UTC)

http://7days.ae/airmens-bodies-flown-back-uae-later-today

Airmen’s bodies to be flown back to UAE later today

Shoshana Kedem | March 16, 2016

The bodies of the two fighter pilots who died in a military operation in Yemen are due to return home today.

The remains of Zayed Ali Al Kaabi and Mohammed Obaid Al Hamoudi are being flown from Eritrea at 5am this morning local time, arriving at Al Bateen Airport at 8pm, where they will be transferred to Al Zayed hospital for medical examinations.

The body of Major Zayed Ali Al Kaabi will then be flown to Fujairah, where a funeral procession will be held through the settlement of Murbeh.

The pilots were on a military operation as part of the Arab coalition’s mission in Yemen when a ‘technical fault’ led to the crash, a Saudi news agency reported on Sunday.

Zayed, 37, was survived by his wife and four boys, the unit’s public affairs officer, Sergeant Abdullah Shukaily, confirmed.

His brother, Khamis Al Kaabi, told 7DAYS that Zayed used to speak proudly about his role as a fighter pilot and serving his country.

He said “He was really happy and proud to be serving the nation in the military, adding that “he spoke about his duty all the time.”

Zayed entered the UAE Armed Forces and trained to be a pilot, rising to the rank of Major.

The body of First Lieutenant Mohammed Obaid Salem Al Hamoudi will be flown on a separate flight to his hometown of Dibba, in Fujairah.

His aunt, Jumana Al Hmoudi, said: “I am proud to be referred to as the aunt of the martyr.

“Our leadership has given us a lot and it’s time that we give back to our nation the sacrifice it deserves. He embarked on a path that led to happiness. He would have been happy with victory and happy with his martyrdom.

“Mohammed was a loving and caring person.”

A selfie of Mohammed in her phone will be treasured forever, she added.