(Guardian) Team MTN-Qhubeka name change could lead to arrival of Mark Cavendish

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:53:41 -0400

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/25/team-mtn-qhubeka-name-change-mark-cavendish

Team MTN-Qhubeka name change could lead to arrival of Mark Cavendish

• African team will be known as Team Dimension Date from 2016
• Cavendish’s contract at Etixx-Quick Step expires imminently

Team MTN-Qhubeka will be known as Team Dimension Data from 2016 in a
move that could pave the way for Mark Cavendish to join them.

As MTN-Qhubeka, the African team have made a big impact at this year’s
Tour de France, where the Briton Steve Cummings won the 14th stage on
Mandela Dayand Eritrean Daniel Teklehaimanot became the first African
to wear the race’s King of the Mountains jersey.

Daniel Teklehaimanot: 'I'm proud to be an Eritrean riding the Tour de France'

 Cavendish, a 26-time Tour de France stage winner, has been linked
with the squad, with his three-year Etixx-Quick-Step deal expiring
imminently.

The 30-year-old raced for the Belgian squad for the final time after
sustaining a shoulder injury in crashing out of the Tour of Britain,
won by MTN-Qhubeka’s Edvald Boasson Hagen.

The sponsorship of the UCI Professional Continental team by Dimension
Data is anticipated to take it to the next level, and the global IT
company will continue to support the Qhubeka charity, which has
provided more than 4,000 bicycles in its BicyclesChangeLives campaign.

The team principal Douglas Ryder said: “We are incredibly excited to
have Dimension Data become our new title partner. It enables us to
continue to support the development of African cycling and the Qhubeka
charity at the highest levels in world cycling.

“This is the next step in our journey and we look forward to
accelerating our collective ambitions through this partnership.”