ESAT News: EU Foreign Policy Chief meets Ethiopian PM on migration crisis

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 17:25:50 +0200

 October 21, 2015

Federica Mogherini, EU foreign policy chief, discussed on the flow of Ethiopian refugees with Hailemariam Dessalegn, reports from Ethiopia indicated.

Federica Mogherini

Federica Mogherini

Mogherini said the EU wanted to tackle the refugee crisis affecting the EU at its source. The official said that most of the immigrants that crossed into Europe were from the Horn of Africa.

Mogherini told reporters that discussions were held on the “common agenda… to manage the flows and to offer economic opportunities, especially economic opportunities to young people in the region.”

The discussion primarily focused on the human traffickers that smuggle immigrants to Europe.

It is reported that a meeting is planned between EU and African leaders next month in Malta.

Mogherini said, “This meeting will provide an opportunity for us to discuss AU-EU relations, particularly around critical issues including migration, peace and security, development, democracy, and human rights.”

Previous reports showed that Ethiopian migrants flee the country due to political persecutions or economic reasons. The Ethiopian government harasses opposition political party members, journalists and citizens.

Most immigrants are well-informed about the situation in Libya and are aware of the danger of crossing the Mediterranean Sea thereafter: getting drowned, devoured by sharks, or asphyxiated in the hold of crowded smuggler vessels.

An aspiring immigrant named Getachew in Metema town recently told the Guardian, “I know the dangers of living now in Libya, especially with the ISIS news. But I want to risk it all and try my luck.”

Despite the alleged economic growth that failed to bring sustainable employment particularly for the youth, Ethiopian nationals are grossly fleeing their country in search of better work and life elsewhere.