Sudantribune.com: Kiir says peace deal undermines South Sudan’s sovereignty

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 15:42:59 +0200

October 12, 2015 (JUBA) - South Sudanese President Salva Kiir said the international and regionally backed peace accord he inked with the armed opposition faction in August undermines the sovereignity of his nation, despite its intention to end months of conflict.

JPEG - 31.2 kb
South Sudanese president Salva Kiir (Photo: Reuters)

"I did not accede to this deal because it is perfect-indeed, the plan undermines the sovereignty and democratic institutions of our nation, unfortunate ways," Kiir wrote in Sunday’s edition of the US-based Washington Times.

The president also criticised the move to reward the opposition with positions of power and that such a move overlooks his government and could further encourage tribalism.

According to Kiir, the Juba government was threatened by foreign powers with a referral to the Hague-based International Criminal Court, but did not disclose who specifically made the threat.

“Some of our international partners in peace even turned to threats and intimidations, both in public and private – sanctions, the withdrawal of aid and support, referrals to the International Criminal Court,” wrote the South Sudanese leader.

He criticised international partners for undermining his democratically elected government.

“The tools of democracy, prosperity and justice, now are used to bludgeon those same principles," further adding, “From distant capitals came demands that we shred our constitution and the safeguards for the South Sudanese enshrined within it".

President Kiir and the armed opposition leader Riek Machar signed a peace deal in August to end 20 months of the conflict that killed tens of thousands of people and displaced nearly two million people.

Despite the provisions of the peace accord, however, the President expressed concerns over proposals to demilitarise Juba, claiming it threatens South Sudan’s territorial integrity.

“Of course we.. voiced our objections. We were told, however, to keep quiet", said Kiir, in his direct attack at what he described as foreign interference into his country’s matters.