Allafrica.com: Somalia - Nine Die in Battle Between Gov't, Juba Soldiers

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 22:46:38 +0200

Heavy gun battle between government troops and Jubaland forces, has left at least nine people, including, soldiers dead and wounded several others outside Kismayo, officials said

The fighting that lasted for 1 hour has erupted when number of Jubaland soldiers launched heavy attack on positions manned by government troops in Gobweyn area.

For his part, Abdirashid Mo'alim Gas, one of Somalia military officials told Shabelle Media that his troops had killed at least nine Jubaland soldiers and repulsed the raid.

"We lost a soldier on his way to fight back armed forces from Jubaland admin troops in Gobweyn area located outside Kismayo city", he said.

Meanwhile, Jubaland officials denied its troops had launched an attack on bases controlling by gov't troops but said its armed soldiers had clashed with Al Shabab militants

"Our troops raided bases which were suspected to be hideouts of Al Qaeda linked Al Shabaab but we did not attack on Somalia army's bases in the area" unnamed Jubaland officer said.

The situation is calm as terrified local residents started fleeing their homes for safer neighborhoods in the area just outside of the port town of Kismayo.

Today coincided with a year before when armed militias loyal to warlord Barra Hirale were driven out by Jubaland soldiers following days of fighting in Kismayo city.

Kismayo, a town situated 328 miles (528 km) southwest of Somalia's capital of Mogadishu.