(PBP)Moving Up: Awet Sium, new general manager at Tideline

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 18:59:37 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/business/moving-up-awet-sium-new-general-manager-at-tidelin/npsRd/

Moving Up: Awet Sium, new general manager at Tideline

8:00 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 3, 2016 | Filed in: Business

Awet Sium has a good idea of what travelers like in a hotel, because, at the ripe young age of 39, he has done a whole lot of traveling.

“In the eight years I’ve been married, we’ve been to 40 countries,” he said, “ and our son, who is 3 and a half, has already been to 14 countries.”

Some of his travel was for work, said Sium, the new general manager of Kimpton’s Tideline Ocean Resort & Spa in Palm Beach. But some of the globetrotting was for vacation, something Sium said is very important for everyone.

“We have to go on vacation,” he said. “It balances us.” One of his favorite trips, he said, was a recent on to Southeast Asia, where he and his wife had many adventures, including tracking elephants.

Born in Washington D.C., Sium brings 20 years of hospitality experience to Tideline (formerly the Omphoy). His parents are from Eritrea, a country in the Horn of Africa (next to Sudan, Ethiopia and Djibouti). He has visited Eritrea many times and speaks Tigrinya (the language of Eritrea), as well as English, Italian (his wife was born in Italy) and some Spanish.

Before taking the job in Palm Beach, Sium was resort manager for the Four Seasons in St. Kitts & Nevis, where he started a mentoring program to guide first time department heads.

Before that, he was the general manager at Kimpton’s Vero Beach Hotel & Spa.

“I really enjoy walking and talking to employees,” he said. “I like to take the time to get to know people so I can help them be successful.”

In his short time at the 134-room Tideline, Sium knows all 127 employees. “I firmly believe we’ve got an excellent staff.”

At Tideline, Sium, a foodie, hopes to see more changes in the food and beverages departments. Much to his delight, the resort very recently opened a sushi restaurant, Mizu. “Our sushi is stellar. We find the best fish in the world.”

The hotels restaurants, including Brandon’s, the signature restaurant, will serve New World American dishes.

“I want to do dishes that will make our locals sing,” he said.

The resort also remodeled its meeting spaces.

“We want to be a cool, sexy, beautiful place to be seen but not to be rivaled,” he said.

NAME: AWET SIUM

Distinction: General Manager, Tideline Ocean Resort & Spa

Town: Palm Beach

Age: 39

Education: Bachelor’s in business administration and management, Columbia Union College.

Personal: “Married to my beautiful wife of eight years, Rahwa; son: Mikael (3 ½ years old) and we live in out west in Boynton Beach.”

Hobbies: “Real Estate & Investment reading, Golf and spending as much time as I can with my son and wife.”

Career highlight: “I have lived in nine cities and/or countries in the last 10 years.”

Favorite quote: “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, and do more and become more, you are a leader.” — John Quincy Adams