(Basellandschaftlichezeitung.ch) Radio as a cultural mediator: Radio X sends in Eritrean language

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 15:52:22 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.basellandschaftlichezeitung.ch/basel/basel-stadt/das-radio-als-kultur-vermittler-radio-x-sendet-in-eritreischer-sprache-129773796

Radio as a cultural mediator: Radio X sends in Eritrean language

Radio X sends until the end of year contributions that specifically address the approximately 1,600 living in the Basel region Eritreans. They are written in the Eritrean language Tigrinya and help newly arrived to better understand Switzerland. Noemi Landolt Lea

More than 20 000 Eritreans living in Switzerland - around 1,600 in the Basel region. When they arrive here, almost everything is new to them: How does the education system? Where can I obtain advice? And as ticking the Swiss? Answers to such questions deliver ten brief info Contributions, which run until the end of the year on Radio X - in Tigrinya, the main language of Eritrea.

That one is trying to reach the Eritreans over radio reports, is not random. In Eritrea the medium of radio has a high priority: "All listen to the radio - whether in the city or in the most remote places in the country," says Helen Haile. She is himself fled from Eritrea to Switzerland almost ten years ago and is now working as an interpreter. You know where important information and education are needed - from personal experience and from their daily work.

Helen Haile has immediately agreed, as she had heard about the project of Radio X, which is supported by the specialized agencies Integration of Basel. "It is important that people integrate and know how Switzerland works." That they are explained in their own language and of compatriots on the radio the information and you can simultaneously hear a podcast contributions at any time, is a great asset and relieves it in their daily work: "Instead of each person to explain how the education system works, or an asylum procedure expires, I can refer to the info-posts," says Haile. So stay more time to discuss other issues.

Everyday tips instead Policy

Behind the microphone stand Helen Haile restarted - along with another migrant from Eritrea. During the production and planning the two were supported by Tatiana Vieira, the project manager at Radio X. "At the very beginning we have invited around 15 Eritreans to us on the radio and asked her what information would be most appropriate for their community," says Tatiana Vieira. Quick had been shown that the focus should be on life in Switzerland. "In political issues, many Eritreans do not agree on what causes tension," says Vieira. With regard to Switzerland, however, make up for all the same questions, and here set the contributions to.

In the Info-contributions, which are broadcast every Tuesday evening, there in front of the information in Tigrinya Find out more about Eritrea and the following article in German. This provides orientation for all those who do not understand Tigrinya and listen to the program at random on Radio X. As soon as Helen Haile and her colleague switch to Tigrinya, one understands a word - apart from "Basel", addresses or names of counseling centers. It is not difficult to imagine how it must comply with the Eritreans go inversely with German.

Focus on health

The info-posts to Tigrinya come well received by the Eritreans and Eritreans. "Many have contacted me that they hear me on the radio and I sound good," says Helen Haile almost a little proud. She has distributed leaflets and made their compatriots so attentive to the contributions. Radio X also makes targeted advertising of the posts. Namely, where Eritreans are. Although the programs are provided only until the end of the year on Radio X, they are available as a podcast still available and remain current. In the pipeline also already waiting for the next project: "In the previous articles we have excluded the issue of health conscious," said Tatiana Vieira. Not because it is unimportant, on the contrary: Many Eritreans did not know when to seek help at the hospital and when they simply better consult a doctor. Therefore, ten health spots are produced in Tigrinya. Analog health spots that are already running in Kurdish, Serbian, English and many other languages ​​on Radio X.

Radio X informed in Tigrinya until the end of December each Tuesday by 20 clock or to download as a podcast on www.radiox.ch

(Software translation)