(Reuters) Anywhere but home for Ethiopian migrants

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 11:55:49 -0400

 http://www.reuters.com/video/2015/05/15/anywhere-but-home-for-ethiopian-migrants?videoId=364241766&feedType=VideoRSS&feedName=Business&videoChannel=5&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FUSVideoBusiness+%28Video+%2F+US+%2F+Business%29

Anywhere but home for Ethiopian migrants

Friday, May 15, 2015 - 01:43

Growth of 9 percent would normally suggest a bountiful economy. But
for many young Ethiopians, their ambitions lie abroad, even if it
means risking their lives on the perilous sea-crossing to Europe. Ivor
Bennett reports

▲ Hide Transcript

▶ View Transcript

Home isn't where the heart is for these men. Part-time taxi drivers in
Ethiopia hoping for a ride out, at any cost. (SOUNDBITE) (Amharic)
PART-TIME TAXI DRIVER, ASHENAFI KUMALA, SAYING: "I just want to leave
this country, whether it is by boat on the sea or any other means and
try my luck. I want to improve my living condition even if I have to
do that by risking my life."

For many the target is Europe. Even if it means making the perilous
trip across the Mediterranean. Now the watery graveyard of thousands
before them. (SOUNDBITE) (Amharic) PART-TIME TAXI DRIVER, HABTAMU
KEBELA SAYING: "The boat journey might be risky but I believe it is
better to leave this country by any means possible because there is
nothing in this country."

In theory, Ethiopia is a land of plenty right now. It's economy is
expanding at about 9 percent a year. In reality though, millions have
been left out. Says migration consultant Mehari Tadele. (SOUNDBITE)
(English) INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANT AND EXPERT ON MIGRATION, MEHARI
TADELE, SAYING: "What they want and they are ambitious about is
completely different from what the country can provide. So this is a
mismatch between the aspirations of the many youth in terms of what
kind of life they want to live, and the actual opportunities the
country can provide to this youth."

When they do work, these men make about 5 dollars a day But there are
no guarantees. So as well as Europe, some aim for Yemen. in the hope
of reaching the riches further north. The poorest walk for weeks to
reach the coast, with little food, water or shelter. That or the
Mediterranean - an impossible choice but for many here, they feel it's
their only option.