Madote.com: Video: Anywhere but home for Ethiopian migrants

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 13:40:23 +0200

Watch it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=29&v=5WOK92WbZ9g
17/05/2015

If these Ethiopian migrants make it to the West, all of them will do so by pretending to be Eritrean asylum seekers. They will all share harrowing stories of being tortured in Eritrea and will claim their lives will be in jeopardy if returned to Eritrea. Also, UNHCR and Human Rights Watch will gladly add these Ethiopians into their "Eritrean" asylum figures and use the inflated figures and bogus stories to demonize the Eritrean government.

Transcript:

Home isn't where the heart is for these men. Part-time taxi drivers in Ethiopia hoping for a ride out, at any cost. (SOUNDBITE) (Amharic) PART-TIME TAXI DRIVER, ASHENAFI KUMALA, SAYING: "I just want to leave this country, whether it is by boat on the sea or any other means and try my luck. I want to improve my living condition even if I have to do that by risking my life."

 For many the target is Europe. Even if it means making the perilous trip across the Mediterranean. Now the watery graveyard of thousands before them. (SOUNDBITE) (Amharic) PART-TIME TAXI DRIVER, HABTAMU KEBELA SAYING: "The boat journey might be risky but I believe it is better to leave this country by any means possible because there is nothing in this country."