TesfaNews: Letter from Eritrean Communities in Italy to the Italian Order of Journalists

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 18:59:39 +0200

President Vincenzo Iacopino of the Italian Order of Journalists
Eritrean Communities in Italy collectively addressed their concern, in writting, to President Vincenzo Iacopino of the Italian Order of Journalists regarding the deliberate and targeted attack by certain journalists and media outlets in the country against Eritreans and their country

By Media Committee Italy,

DEAR President Vincenzo Iacopino,

The Community of Eritreans residing in Italy writes to inform you of the discomfort we have suffered for years because of the Italian newspapers and journalists who have targeted our country publishing, almost daily, defamatory articles on Eritrea. These incessant and cruel stories hurt us to the point that we have started to feel singled out and persecuted by the Italian media.

Dear President, if you counted how many times in the last two years the Italian journalists have abused the name of Eritrea, you would comprehend that our country – out of the 54 in Africa – is the main target of this morbid attention. That way you would understand our deep discomfort.

We are concerned about some journalists in particular for the aggressive tones and contents, which in our eyes almost sound as a declaration of war, while other newspapers appear to be mere propaganda tools of the government of Ethiopia. In our view, many are plainly unaware that the history of Eritrea unfortunately still remains linked to Ethiopia that, despite Eritrea achieved its independence in 1991, continues to illegally occupy sovereign Eritrean territories and constantly threatens a new war. Everyone is free to side with one or the other country but it is only fair that respectable and neutral media outlets would provide equal access to all opponents.

Unfortunately, Ethiopia that has chosen to be the armed wing of the US, continues to destabilize the entire Horn of Africa and it is with the support of its ally that for 13 years has refused to implement the UN Eritrea Ethiopia Boundary Commission (EEBC) decisions which ruled that Badme, causus-belli of 1998, belongs to Eritrea. To add insult to injury: deceiving the UN, Ethiopia has also pushed for two sanctions against Eritrea accused of financing Al-Shabaab terrorism in Somalia. Accusations that were later proved to be unfounded. Matter of fact, Eritrea is the only secular state in the whole of Africa that has always struggled against every kind of ethnic-religious fanaticism. Obviously, the unjust UN sanctions have harmed the already damaged Eritrean economy that was only starting to recover from the 40-year-war that had destroyed the infrastructure and factories built during the Italian colonial period.

To those who say, “We write because Eritrea is the country that most exports immigrants” we answer that we do not want to deny this phenomenon. Eritrea is still a poor country, it is understandable that the young generations are trying to improve their lives and that of their families. The 18-month military service has been prolonged due to the illegal occupation of Eritrean territories by Ethiopia and the no war no peace situation that continues since 2000. Eritreans are migrating, but they are not the only ones to cross the sea, as many other from more “democratic” nations in Africa continue to take that route. We can recognize our people and it has always been clear to us that also people from other nationalities have claimed to be Eritreans to receive prima facie refugee status. The UNHCR wants to magnify the matter stating that “every day thousands flee” Eritrea, fortunately however, the reality is that millions of young people in the country continue to stand up to adversity and participate in the nation-building process of our country. During the Struggle for Independence too, many were abandoning the trenches at the first difficulty, but it was thanks to those who resisted that Eritrea was liberated.

When a nation is continuously targeted and defamed in the name of freedom of press, its community abroad express its anger and it is called to defend its honour and its land. For this reason, we have asked to meet journalists to discover the sources of their articles, but so far, we have not had any feedback. Newspapers like il Manifesto, La Repubblica, Il Corriere della Sera, L’Avvenire and others arrogantly continue to rage and rub salt into the wound. The refusal to a much-needed debate make us think of some kind of xenophobia against us but we hope to be wrong because this type of serious discrimination should even be pursued by law. All that has been written would only lead us to hate your institutions, but we are a historic community, a serious and exemplary one, that loves the country that has become our second home for over forty years, continues to respect its laws and institutions. We are honest workers that in our small way proudly contribute to the Italian welfare. Many of us have acquired citizenship; we are a very well integrated community in the Italian society with many mixed marriages and children that proudly share both heritages.

With this letter, we want to ask for help to the Italian Order of Journalists to stop this media war that is killing us by using our tragedies and refusing to give voice to our pain. We will never cease to defend ourselves and looking to make our voices heard wherever we will find a chance to do so; to denounce all defamatory articles of journalists who go against their ethics and write by hearsay. We continue to invite anyone genuinely interested in discovering Eritrea to come and see the reality on the ground through their eyes rather than the deliberate misinformation spread. According to Reporters Without Borders freedom of press in Eritrea is non-existent, while Italy appeared on the 73rd place on the 2015 World Press Freedom Index that covered 180 countries. Therefore, we strongly believe Italian journalism could seriously teach us an important lesson by not censoring us any longer.

Unfortunately, the majority of Italian newspapers has not seem willing to publish the positives about Eritrea, but only to destroy the image of the country and discourage its communities. Yet, our country is not the evil place as it has been described, and we will never cease to repeat that.

Eritrea, which has strongly focused on the principle of self-reliance, is the only African country that does not receive Western “humanitarian aid” and is on target to reach all eight Millennium Development Goals through its own efforts alone and without borrowing from international moneylenders. Eritrea is the country that has reduced infant and maternal mortality, which has eradicated malaria and controlled HIV, that offers its students free education from kindergarten to University College and is working to achieve the last and most challenging of its objectives: food security. For this purpose is building several dams, aware that without water there is no agriculture without water there is no food, without water there is no life. Major dams have already been completed and have started to retain water. Evidence that can not be denied by any journalist despite how far they go from reality!

Eritrea that has often been described “worst than North Korea”, an “open-air prison”, or the “hell on Earth”, is the one country that is working for the wellbeing of future generations, “forcing” the younger populations including students to the “hard labour” (as happened in 2014 with the planting of 4,000,000 trees to prevent desertification).

This is the country led by Isaias Afwerki, described as “the most violent dictator in the world”, that instead of leading a luxurious life as many other leaders, walks through dust and mud in construction sites. Dictators like to build nuclear fallout bunkers, certainly not dams!

How can a leader that works so hard to ensure his people water and food become the dictator that hates his people this much? What is the truth? This is where it becomes essential for the journalist to have the intellectual honesty and a good dose of courage to investigate on human trafficking.

We realize that our word might not have the same weight of that of Westerners and likewise when Eritrea accuses the CIA of human trafficking, America might just blame “the dictator”.

In a 2008 interview to Reuters, President Isaias Afwerki accused the CIA of human trafficking. One year later, President Obama in a speech to the Clinton Foundation Initiative, confirmed:

“I recently renewed sanctions on some of the worst abusers, including North Korea and Eritrea. We’re partnering with groups that help women and children escape from the grip of their abusers. We’re helping other countries step up their own efforts. And we’re seeing results … “

The efforts Obama mentioned are the refugee camps over the border in Ethiopia and Sudan and the so-called NGOs even run by Eritrean nationals (Wikileaks cable “Engaging the Eritrean Diaspora” revealed that former US Ambassador Ronald K. McMullen to Eritrea confidentially suggested the US should finance NGOs and organizations, especially in the Diaspora that criticized or opposed the Eritrean government). Soon after, for the first time, many Eritreans were managing NGOs and in no time the Agenzia Habeshia by “Father” Mussie Zerai, Ghandi by Alganesh Fesaha Gandhi, HRCE by Elsa Churum were created. Numerous websites of “opposition” groups also began to appear like Radio Erena run by Meron Estifanos.

These “holy” organizations, however, seem to receive funds from the National Endowment for Democracy (NED), Freedom House, Open Society Institute and the US State Department.

The promise of a better life abroad, or easy entry to the United States are among the main pull factors that have made many flee Eritrea to UNHCR refugee camps in Ethiopia and Sudan. Once here, sadly refugees find out that no safe journey awaits ahead; crossing the desert, facing tortures, kidnappings in Sinai and imprisonment in Libya are all part of the only way they can reach Europe.

Using these tragedies for their own advantages, the above mentioned “NGOs” get into work to contact those kidnapped to extort their families in the Diaspora, terrorizing them through phone calls and push them to pay thousands of dollars. The guardian angels will then follow the journey at sea of those who manage to climb on the boats through satellite phones, and call for help once they reach Italian sea.

Meanwhile, the numbers of children that arrive in Lampedusa – and that without any political conviction are granted refugee status – continue to increase. Unless we believe that children are persecuted in Eritrea, how can minors be considered political refugees?
The warfare towards Eritrea is also implemented through the systematic strategy of luring the people out of their country. The truth is that the war between Eritrea and Ethiopia has never ended, but only transformed over time.

Dear President, the Eritrean Community in Italy hopes that the Order of Italian Journalists lead by you does not side with one of the two parties in conflict but that remains neutral and balanced. We continue to extend our engagement and collaboration with all institutions in Italy and reiterate our determination to stop the human trafficking that has made us both protagonists and victims.

Finally, we ask you and your respectable institution commitment to give voice to our pain for the genocide in the Mediterranean Sea to end.

Media Committee Italy

Spokesperson of the Community of Eritreans residing in Italy

– – – – – –

Lettera della Comunità degli Eritrei residenti in Italia all’Ordine dei Giornalisti Italiani (ODG)

Egregio Presidente Dott. Vincenzo Iacopino,

Come Comunità di Eritrei residenti in Italia Le scriviamo per comunicarLe il disagio che viviamo da anni per colpa di giornali e giornalisti italiani che hanno preso di mira il nostro Paese pubblicando, quasi quotidianamente, articoli denigratori e infamanti sull’Eritrea. Queste incessanti e crudeli notizie ci feriscono a tal punto che ci sentiamo oramai additati e perseguitati dai media italiani.

Se Lei, egregio Dottore, volesse assumersi l’incarico di contare quante volte, ad esempio negli ultimi due anni, i giornalisti italiani abbiano abusato del nome Eritrea vedrebbe come il nostro Paese sia l’unico, dei 54 africani, a godere di questa morbosa attenzione. Comprenderebbe così il nostro profondo disagio (inesorabile logorio e la nostra cupa depressione).

Alcuni giornalisti in particolare ci preoccupano in quanto a toni e contenuti apparendo ai nostri occhi molto aggressivi quasi quanto una dichiarazione di guerra, mentre altri giornali sembrano essere gli strumenti di propaganda del governo dell’Etiopia (dell’Etiopia, il nostro nemico di sempre). Secondo noi, a tutti sfugge che la storia dell’Eritrea è, purtroppo, ancora legata all’Etiopia che, nonostante l’Indipendenza del 1993, continua ad occupare illegalmente i territori sovrani eritrei e continuamente minaccia una nuova guerra. Ognuno è libero di schierarsi con l’uno o l’altro paese ma bisognerebbe dichiararlo apertamente e soprattutto, in un paese democratico come l’Italia, si dovrebbe essere disponibili al contraddittorio e offrire spazi anche ai propri avversari, una specie di par condicio. Purtroppo l’Etiopia, che ha scelto di essere il braccio armato degli USA, continua di fatto a destabilizzare tutto il Corno d’Africa ed è proprio con l’avallo del suo alleato che da 13 anni si rifiuta di firmare la decisione della Commissione EEBC delle Nazioni Unite la quale ha sancito che Badme, causus-belli del 1998, appartiene all’Eritrea. Poi oltre il danno la beffa: ingannando l’ONU ha promosso due sanzioni contro l’Eritrea accusata di finanziare i terroristi somali di Al-Shabab. Accuse rivelatesi, successivamente, infondate. L’Eritrea, infatti, è l’unico Stato laico in tutta l’Africa che da sempre lotta contro ogni fanatismo di tipo etnico-religioso. Ovviamente le ingiuste sanzioni delle Nazioni Unite hanno ingessato l’economia eritrea, già povera di per sé, perché reduce da 40 anni di guerra che aveva distrutto tutte le sue infrastrutture e le fabbriche italiane del periodo coloniale.

A quelli che dicono: “Scriviamo dell’Eritrea perché è il paese che esporta più immigrati” noi rispondiamo che non vogliamo certo negare questo fenomeno. L’Eritrea è ancora un paese povero, è comprensibile che i suoi giovani cerchino di migliorare la propria vita e quella delle loro famiglie. Il prolungamento del servizio militare che prima dell’ultima guerra era di 18 mesi non ha certo aiutato il Paese. Anche se l’UNHCR vuol far credere che in Eritrea non vi siano rimasti più giovani “perché ogni giorno fuggono a migliaia” rispondiamo che fortunatamente ci sono ancora milioni di giovani che resistono alle avversità e partecipano alla ricostruzione del nostro Paese. È stato così anche durante la guerra di Liberazione: non erano pochi quelli che alla prima difficoltà abbandonavano le trincee ma è stato proprio grazie a quelli che resistevano che è nata una nazione chiamata Eritrea.

Quando in nome della libertà di stampa si fa diffamazione e si uccide una Nazione, la sua Comunità all’estero esprime il suo sdegno ed è chiamata a difendere il suo onore e la sua terra. Proprio per questo abbiamo chiesto un incontro a giornali e giornalisti per cercare di capire su quali fonti si basino i loro articoli, ma finora non abbiamo avuto nessun riscontro. Giornali come il Manifesto, la Repubblica, il Corriere della Sera, l’Avvenire ed altri continuano arrogantemente a infierire e a girare (mettere) il coltello nella piaga. Il rifiuto di (ad) un sereno dibattito ci ha fatto pensare ad una sorta di xenofobia nei nostri confronti ma ci auguriamo di sbagliarci altrimenti la cosa è così grave che solo la mancanza di mezzi economici riuscirebbe a farci desistere dal perseguire per legge questo tipo di discriminazione.

Se fossimo degli integralisti, per colpa dei giornali italiani, avremmo potuto odiare le vostre istituzioni, ma noi siamo una comunità storica, seria ed esemplare, amiamo il Paese che ci ospita da più di quarant’anni e rispettiamo le sue leggi ed istituzioni, siamo onesti lavoratori e nel nostro piccolo contribuiamo orgogliosamente al welfare italiano. Molti (, molti) di noi hanno acquisito la cittadinanza, siamo una comunità aperta ed integrata con numerosi matrimoni misti e figli italo-eritrei.

Con questa lettera vogliamo chiedere aiuto all’Ordine dei Giornalisti per fermare questa guerra mediatica che ci sta uccidendo giorno dopo giorno sfruttando le nostre tragedie e rifiutando di dar voce al nostro grido di dolore. Lo stesso, senza arrenderci mai, continueremo a difenderci commentando, dove ci è permesso farlo, tutti gli articoli infamanti dei giornalisti che, andando contro la loro deontologia, scrivono “per sentito dire” e non ci stancheremo mai di invitarli in Eritrea per vedere con i propri occhi le menzogne che essi stessi hanno raccontato.

Purtroppo le cose belle che il nostro Paese costruisce nessun giornale italiano è intenzionato a pubblicarle, finiamo sulle prime pagine solamente per essere distrutti mediaticamente e per essere ridotti a brandelli come Comunità. Eppure il nostro non è il Paese più malvagio del mondo, non ci stancheremo mai di ripeterlo.

L’Eritrea, grazie alla filosofia dell’autosufficienza, è l’unico paese africano a non ricevere “aiuti umanitari” occidentali e nonostante questo (lo stesso) sta per raggiungere tutti gli Otto Obiettivi del Millennio con le sue proprie sole forze e senza indebitarsi con gli usurai internazionali. L’Eritrea è il Paese che ha ridotto la mortalità infantile e materna, che ha debellato la malaria e controllato l’Hiv, è il Paese che offre ai suoi studenti l’istruzione gratuita dall’asilo al College Universitario e che sta lavorando per raggiungere l’ultimo e più impegnativo dei suoi obiettivi: la sicurezza alimentare. A questo scopo sta costruendo numerose dighe, consapevole che senza acqua non c’è agricoltura, senza acqua non c’è cibo, senza acqua non c’è vita. Tutte le dighe già ultimate trattengono l’acqua cambiando colore al territorio circostante, evidenze che non possono essere negate da nessun giornalista per quanto cieco voglia essere!

È proprio questo Paese “peggio della Corea del Nord”, “prigione a cielo aperto”, “inferno sulla Terra”, “dittatura più feroce del mondo” che mette a dimora i suoi futuri alberi e costruisce dighe per la sopravvivenza e la salute di coloro che verranno dopo di noi costringendo ai “lavori forzati” la sua popolazione più giovane con il coinvolgimento anche degli studenti (come è avvenuto nel 2014 con la piantumazione di ben 4.000.000 di alberi per fermare l’avanzamento del deserto).

Questo è il Paese guidato da Isaias Afewerki, per i giornalisti “il dittatore più feroce del mondo”, che invece di farsi il bagno nello champagne fumando grossi sigari passa il suo tempo, camminando tra polvere e fango come un geometra in cantiere, ad incoraggiare la rapida costruzione dell’ultima diga prima dell’arrivo della nuova stagione delle piogge. I dittatori amano costruirsi bunker antiatomici non certo dighe!

Un Padre che lavora così duramente per garantire ai suoi figli l’acqua e il cibo può costringerli poi a scappare via? Qual è la verità? È qui che diventa fondamentale per il giornalista avere l’onestà intellettuale e una buona dose di coraggio per indagare sul traffico di esseri umani.

Ci rendiamo conto che la nostra parola conta di meno rispetto a quella degli occidentali e allo stesso modo quando l’Eritrea accusa la CIA di traffico di esseri umani l’America risponde che è tutta colpa della nostra dittatura.

In un’intervista del 2008, rilasciata ai giornalisti di Reuters, il Presidente Isaias Afewerki accusava la CIA di essere dietro al traffico di esseri umani. Esattamente un anno dopo, il Presidente Obama in un discorso al Clinton Foundation Initiative, confermava:

“Recentemente abbiamo rinnovato le sanzioni su alcuni dei paesi più tirannici tra cui Corea del Nord e Eritrea, abbiamo partnership con i gruppi che aiutano le donne e i bambini a scappare dalle mani dei loro aguzzini, stiamo aiutando altri paesi ad intensificare i loro sforzi e vediamo dei risultati…”

Gli sforzi degli altri paesi, di cui parlava Obama, sono i campi profughi allestiti in Etiopia e Sudan per accogliere i nostri giovani, mentre chi aiuta donne e bambini a scappare sono le ONG gestite da cittadini eritrei (come auspicato dall’Ambasciatore ad Asmara Ronald K. McMullen in un dispaccio confidenziale intitolato “Engaging the Eritrean diaspora” rivelato da WikiLeaks in cui suggeriva alle ONG che attingono a fondi USA di incoraggiare la diaspora eritrea alla critica del Governo eritreo). Infatti non era mai successo che così tanti eritrei potessero gestire delle Ong e in poco tempo sono nate l’Agenzia Habeshia di don Mussie Zerai, Gandhi di Alganesh Fesaha, HRCE di Elsa Churum, Asper, Radio Erena di Meron Estifanos. Contemporaneamente nascono numerosi siti web di gruppi di opposizione al governo eritreo per diffondere meglio le notizie di ciò che presto sarebbe successo ai giovani eritrei.

Dietro a tutte queste “Sante” organizzazioni ci sono i soldi di National Endowment for Democracy (NED), Freedom House, Open society Institute e il Dipartimento di Stato Americano.

Si arriverebbe a scoprire così che dietro (a) tutta questa faccenda c’è la promessa di una vita nel paradiso terrestre: il visto facile per gli Stati Uniti. Questo è il principale fattore di attrazione. Con il trucco di un visto per l’America, i ragazzi vengono fatti fuggire dall’Eritrea verso i campi profughi dell’UNHCR in Etiopia e in Sudan dove le ONG Gandhi e HRCE distribuiscono il numero di telefono satellitare di don Mussie Zerai e di Meron Estifanos e i poveri profughi non vengono fatti salire su un aereo umanitario ma fatti partire verso il deserto ad affrontare torture, sequestri nel Sinai e prigioni in Libia.

E, come da programma, le ONG entrano in azione attraverso drammatici collegamenti telefonici con i ragazzi sequestrati apposta dai beduini per ricattare la diaspora eritrea nel mondo che, terrorizzata dalle telefonate dei propri familiari, paga migliaia di dollari e maledice il Governo eritreo. Per quelli che infine riescono a salire sui barconi fatiscenti ecco pronti gli angeli custodi, armati di telefoni satellitari, che allertano i soccorsi per i natanti.
Intanto arrivano a Lampedusa sempre più minorenni (12-13 anni) senza alcuna convinzione politica e ai quali viene concesso lo status di rifugiato. A meno che non si voglia far credere che in Eritrea si mangino i bambini perché considerare dei minorenni rifugiati politici?

Sappiamo anche che ad attraversare il mare non sono solo eritrei. Siamo in grado di riconoscere la nostra gente e vi diciamo che oramai tutti gli africani che vengono via mare hanno capito che dichiarandosi eritrei ricevono lo status di rifugiato a prima facie.

Il regime-change attuato attraverso lo svuotamento di un paese come l’Eritrea si è trasformato negli anni in un genocidio sistematico di giovani vite di africani perché la verità è che tra Eritrea ed Etiopia la guerra non è mai finita.

Egr. Dott. Iacopino, la Comunità degli Eritrei in Italia si augura che l’Ordine dei Giornalisti Italiani di cui Lei è Presidente non parteggi per una delle due parti in conflitto ma che sia neutrale ed equilibrato. Da parte nostra ci sarà il massimo impegno e collaborazione con tutte le istituzioni italiane e ribadiamo la nostra ferma volontà di arrestare il traffico di esseri umani che ci ha visti vittime e protagonisti in prima persona. Infine chiediamo a Lei e alla Sua rispettabile istituzione democratica un impegno a dar voce al nostro dolore senza pregiudizio per fermare questo genocidio nel Mar Mediterraneo.

Comitato Media Italia
Portavoce della Comunità Eritrei residenti in Italia