35th Anniversary of NUEW Philadelphia

From: Deborah Merid <deborah.merid_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 14:46:40 -0400

I cannot explain how much I appreciate Eritrean women, from fighting in
war to being a great mother to their children. To me, Eritrean women are
more than ordinary females, they are a strong part in keeping the Eritrean
community together. This year was the 35th year of celebrating national
women’s day and I love celebrating this day because many Eritrean
people like myself come out and support Eritrean women while appreciating
everything they have done for us. Its not everyday that you hear women
fighting beside men for the freedom of a country, it takes a certain group
of
brave and well fortified women to do that and I can honestly say that if it
wasn’t for them fighting alongside with men, half of us would not be where
we are right now. To me, Eritrean women are an essential part of our
Eritrean society and that’s why we all have to cherish and respect them for
as long as we live.
As a new member of the YPFDJ Philadelphia chapter I had the opportunity to
perform at the NUEW Symposium in Washington DC and then again in
Philadelphia my home town. It was the first time I performed Kunama, Saho
and my personal favorite Tigrinya. I even met the president of Hamade which
I enjoyed and it was truly an experience that I wont forget.

- Shiden Ghebrehiwot
YPFDJ Philadelphia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bQx6qtQvNY

--
“Silence is argument carried out by other means.”