BTSEYTI — Young Eritrean Women In The Diaspora, What Will...

From: Ibrahim Idris Suliman <eboeri30_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 07:07:53 -0600

http://btseyti.tumblr.com/post/113141416753/young-eritrean-women-in-the-diaspora-what-will

I just returned from celebrating International Women’s Day with the
National Union of Eritrean Women (NUEW) in Washington DC. The organization
was also celebrating its 35 year anniversary. As the daughter of a 35
year-NUEW member, I was honored to not only emcee the NUEW 35th anniversary
symposium, but to also introduce the President of NUEW who traveled all the
way from Eritrea to attend the celebration. But, the highlight of the event
was being surrounded by brave, inspiring and supportive Eritrean women,
both young and old and hearing real-life experiences of Eritrean women
freedom fighters, watching presentations from young Eritrean-American
trailblazers, and spending a complete day not only discussing NUEW’s
significant accomplishments, but also acknowledging the work that lies
ahead for this historic organization.

Ibrahim I. Suliman