35th Anniversary of NUEW Celebration in Minnesota

From: Essey A. <essey001_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 23:12:54 -0500

International Women’s Day Celebration:

NUEW-Minnesota Chapter Celebrates 35 Years

Strength, Honor, and Resilience

On March 7, 2015, The Eritrean Women’s Association of Minnesota hosted the
annual International Women’s Day Celebration. In honor of the 35-year
anniversary of our beloved Hamadie, also known as the National Union of
Eritrean Women (NUEW). Hamadie of Minnesota highlighted the triumphant
history, sacrifice and strides women have made in our homeland and in the
diaspora. Eritrean women in Minnesota worked tirelessly to make this
momentous event a success.

Winta Gebre and myself, two young Eritrean women of the diaspora, had the
honor of emceeing such a grand event of over 300 people! Although nervous
to speak before such brave and inspiring Eritrean revolutionists, our
courage was uplifted when reaching the stage and seeing our mothers nod
their heads in support of our efforts. The diversity in the crowd ranged
from adults to children, freedom fighters to organizers, diaspora leaders,
to supporters and every person in between. From the blue, red, yellow, and
green decorations draping our community center to the uplifting tunes of
musician, Rezene, numerous women gathered in their traditional clothing
truly embodying the beauty of Eritrea.

While the singing and dancing was an amazing highlight of the program, the
true essence of the celebration was in the words that were shared by our
Eritrean mothers. Several trailblazing women joined the stage, sharing
testimonies of hardship, trial, and success in the revolutionary struggle
for freedom. The nostalgia in such speeches reminded us of how resilient
our Eritrean women truly are. The mothers that spoke before us used their
shared experiences as a platform for growth.

This celebration served as a reminder of how engrossed our Eritrean Women
were in the development of the country we so ever proudly claim. Like our
fathers, our Eritrean women sacrificed their lives for sovereignty. Without
their contribution and sacrifice, Eritrea’s independence would not
exist. Eritrean
women continue to serve as mothers, fighters, politicians, nurses, doctors,
advocates and are in every corner of civil society. While we have made
tremendous strides, the work is still not over. As a daughter of
revolutionists, this event served as a call to action. The 35-year
anniversary of the National Union of Eritrean Women is symbolic of
strength, honor, and resilience.

Zelalemawi Zekri N’Swuatna,

Awet N’Hafash

Merone Melekin

For More Pictures visit our Facebook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/eccmcomm/media_set?set=a.819421848130013.1073741829.100001866175507&type=3

Like Us!

Friend Us!

IMG_1065-1.jpg