(Eritrean-SMART.org) (June 20 Series No. 4) ERITREA TREASURES ITS FALLEN HEROES

From: Dehai <dehaihager_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 06:18:38 -0400

  http://www.eritrean-smart.org/content/june-20-series-no-4-eritrea-treasures-its-fallen-heroes

  (June 20 Series No. 4) ERITREA TREASURES ITS FALLEN HEROES

*ERITREA TREASURES ITS FALLEN HEROES*
by Anbe Berhane

In Eritrea, June 20 is an official Martyrs' Day (Memorial Day) during
which Eritrean nationals within Eritrea and in the Diaspora solemnly pay
tribute to the thousands of heroes and heroines who paid the ultimate
sacrifice during the struggle for independence and while protecting
Eritrean sovereignty. On that day Eritrean nationals renew their pledge
to support the families of the fallen heroes and to make every effort to
advance Eritrean national interests and safeguard such prevalent core
values as maintaining national unity, harmony and tolerance among and
between the various ethnic and religious groups, which comprise the
Eritrean society.

In order to supplement the Eritrean government's endeavors to support
the families of the those who fell to liberate and defend its
sovereignty, Eritrean citizens take measures individually and/or
collectively aimed at sponsoring these families in line with the
benevolent Eritrean customs and traditions. Despite its meager resources
the government continues to apportion a considerable amount of its
budget for supporting the martyrs' families.

Supreme sacrifice is highly treasured in Eritrea. Invocation of those
who paid their lives is taken very seriously. As a matter of fact,
graduates of the National Service swear in the name of these heroes at
graduation. They continue to live in the hearts and minds of the
Eritrean people. It is to be recalled that the struggle for independence
cost, among others, the lives of sixty five thousand of freedom fighters
and a quarter million civilian victims. In addition, the border war cost
nearly nineteen thousand lives. Those brave heroes and heroines have
once again proven the fact that to pass fighting for your people and
nation is highly treasured and emulated in Eritrea.

Just as the candle dies as it lights up our heroic martyrs along with
their living comrades have brought independence and protected the
well-being of the nation. On our part, we salute them and in their name
we renew our pledge to care for their families and advance the national
interests.

Eternal Glory to our Fallen Heroes!