(IAAF) Eritrea’s Petro Mamu and Azaria Teklay come first and second at Montee du Grand Ballon

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 11:47:09 -0400

http://www.iaaf.org/news/report/montee-du-grand-ballon-2015-mamu-tunstall

 14 JUN 2015 Report Willer-sur-Thur, France

Mamu and Tunstall the winners at Montee du Grand Ballon

Eritrea’s Petro Mamu lived up to his billing as one of the favourites
for the Montee du Grand Ballon, the second WMRA World Cup event of
2015, recording the second-fastest time in history in Willer-sur-Thur
on Sunday (14).

Mamu crossed the finish line on the top of the Vosges Mountains almost
two minutes in front of fellow Eritrean Azaria Teklay. His winning
time of 57:52 was just 16 seconds slower than his time from last year
when he improved the course record by almost two minutes.

After 4km of the 13.4km-long course with 1230m elevation gain that
also includes 210m of descent, he felt stronger than his closest
opponents. Teklay, who also finished second in 2014, was the only one
who tried to follow him.

But in the end, Teklay was no match for Mamu. Teklay crossed the line
in 59:48, comfortably ahead of Britain’s Andrew Douglas (1:01:03).

“I like the course; it’s not too difficult,” said Mamu. “There are no
really steep parts and it’s really runnable, which suits me.”

Emma Clayton was the favourite for the women’s race, but fellow Briton
Sarah Tunstall upset the formbook, winning the 8.4km race by more than
a minute. Tunstall clocked 50:09 with Clayton taking second place in
51:16.

Hungary’s Timea Merenyi finished third, one position lower than she
managed last year.

“I’m surprised I beat Emma,” said Tunstall, who is focusing on longer
races this year. “I felt strong, especially in the second part of the
course.”

The next stage of the WMRA World Cup will be the Grintovec race in
Slovenia at the end of July.

Tomo Sarf (WMRA) for the IAAF