(CyclingNews) Daniel Teklehaimanot earns MTN-Qhubeka's first WorldTour jersey

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 09:17:12 -0400

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/teklehaimanot-earns-mtn-qhubekas-first-worldtour-jersey?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cyclingnews%2Fnews+%28Cyclingnews%3A+News+%29

By Cycling News

June 07, 2015 6:04pm

Updated: June 07, 2015 7:04pm Race: Critérium du Dauphiné

Teklehaimanot earns MTN-Qhubeka's first WorldTour jersey

Eritrean claims polka-dot jersey during stage 1 at Critérium du Dauphiné

Teklehaimanot and four others jumped clear of the bunch after about
10km of racing. The Eritrean slipped away from the rest of the
escapees over the early climbs to take the mountain classification
points, locking up the jersey with two KOMs remaining.

“It was a really good day in front for me and the team,” Teklehaimanot
said. “My legs were feeling strong all day on the climbs so I was able
to go for the KOM points. Our group of four worked well together so we
could stay away for all the climbs.

“It was only on the last two laps that I started to get tired but
already I had enough points to get the jersey. I am really happy for
the team and also personally to have this jersey.”

With the sprinters’ teams targeting a stage win, however, the
breakaway was ultimately brought back into the fold. Peter Kennaugh
(Team Sky) snuck away from the bunch and managed to hold off the field
for the stage win, while MTN’s Edvald Boasson Hagen benefited from a
strong leadout to finish second in the bunch sprint for third on the
day.

“The team did great to set me up for the sprint with a strong
leadout,” he said. “I was feeling good and I was happy with the sprint
I was able to do but Pete just managed to stay away. Overall it was a
good day for our team and we are happy with our performance. I am
looking forward to the coming days now.