Ehinger couple Anday helps women in Eritrea

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 11:44:19 +0200
Spotted in Ehingen their home and yet support the poorest of their old home: Medhin and Haile Anday help women in Eritrea living to contest alone - helping people help themselves.
LEONIE L. MASCHKE |
06/06/2015
Haile und Medhin Anday inmitten aufwendig gewebter, traditioneller eritreischer Kleider und Tücher. Diese wurden Frauen hergestellt, die das Ehepaar mit ihrem ?Weki-Projekt? unterstützt.
Haile and Medhin Anday amid elaborate woven, traditional Eritrean clothes and towels. These women were prepared that the couple with her? WeKi project? support.

Photo: L. LEONIE MASCHKE
*Google Translation

Haile and Medhin Anday amid elaborate woven, traditional Eritrean clothes and towels. These women were prepared that the couple with her WeKi project support.
The project was a "drop in the bucket, but very effective," says describe Medhin and Haile Anday from Ehingen her twelve years ago launched "WeKi project". Together with the Ehinger "One World" -Arbeitskreis and the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs in Eritrea, they support poor and widowed women to earn a living on my own again.

"We just wanted to help," says the couple. In 2003, she visited the village WeKi in Eritrea in which it arises and saw the destruction that had brought about the 30-year long war of independence of Eritrea. Many war widows had to bring their own children. "Many lived in poverty," said Medhin and Haile Anday. They contacted a nephew of the village. Together with the "One World" -Arbeitskreis in Ehingen they organized using the donations Ehinger citizens that the women received seed potatoes so that they could cultivate their fields. A year later they were able to buy for women livestock as oxen or cows. "It is a project to help themselves", Haile Anday insists.

Medhin and Haile Anday himself fled the war and arrived in 1980 after Ehingen. Of course, they still feel deeply connected with their homeland, but Medhin Anday says with pride in his voice, "I am a Ehingerin". Her husband adds: "We have been welcomed here with open arms and are well received even on people. Otherwise it would never have worked so well. "

In 2009 she developed her project continues: In cooperation with the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs in Eritrea they bring every year a number of women dealing with looms in. This weave richly embroidered and elaborately produced traditional clothes and towels, as well as pillowcases and tablecloths. "When one of the women sold a dress, it can thus pay everything they need for a month: food, school for their children," said Haile Anday. The nine-month training is financed by donations, as well as the teachers and the material. At the end of each of the women gets a loom, so that they can exercise their craft further and provide for their family. "It is incredibly rewarding, joy and motivation of women to see," enthuses Medhin Anday. "They are all so excited. When we were last there, promised me the women that I will be proud of you, "she says with a smile. All this makes them the courage to keep going.

Meanwhile, their project no longer limited to the village, but is held every year in a different region in Eritrea held, each where it is most needed. In close coordination with the Ministry Andays in Eritrea coordinated everything on site, but the couple is also regularly in his home country in order to advance the project. In Germany, they take care of the working group to the fundraising. "We work with the whole Ehinger company together," Andays say satisfied. They were very grateful that they get the support of schools, companies and individuals. "Our gratitude really has no boundaries."

Since last year, their commitment is also prominent awards from the non-profit organization "Global commitment" they received the special award "commune moves" - an award for "outstanding examples of migration and development". "We were very surprised, we did not even know it was there," says the couple with a laugh. The prize money they send complete their project as they handle it with all donations.

One drives currently still around: the looms, where the women work, are very large. They barely fit in the small huts. Therefore, they are planning to build a kind of hall where the women work on the looms and also at the same time be able to exchange with each other. "That would be fantastic if that would work," says Medhin Anday. "This is very important to us."

Info: If you want to support the project, can contact Medhin and Haile Anday for more information and to donate: Arbeitskreis eV A world Keywords: donation WeKi project, account number: 9320822, BLZ 63050000, Sparkasse Ulm.