(Toronto Sun)Lack of concern over alleged racist party costume worries Calgary sisters

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:33:17 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/02/27/lack-of-concern-over-alleged-racist-party-costume-worries-calgary-sisters

CTV NEWS VIDEO NETWORK

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=559810&playlistId=1.2255833&binId=1.810401&playlistPageNum=1&binPageNum=1

Lack of concern over alleged racist party costume worries Calgary sisters

BY BRYAN PASSIFIUME, CALGARY SUN
FIRST POSTED: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2015 01:49 AM EST | UPDATED:

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2015 02:01 AM EST

For one Calgary teen, intent wasn’t nearly as important as perception.

Motivated to act after two St. Francis high school students allegedly showed up at a house party last Friday in Ku Klux Klan-style robes and hoods, sisters Rose and Sarah Ghebrezghi, members of Calgary’s Eritrean community, were disappointed with the reaction they said they got when they tried to express their concerns to school officials.

“We first brought it to their attention Monday morning,” 18-year-old Sarah said.

“On Tuesday, me and my sister talked to the vice-principal, he said he didn’t know about it, but said he would act on it and follow up.”

That was the last the sisters heard from the school, she claims.

It wasn’t until the story made the evening news that the school board acted, she said.

Media reports suggested the Calgary Catholic School District (CCSD) had disciplined the two Grade 11 students.

When contacted by the Sun, school officials deferred comment to the CCSD. Invitations for the school district to comment were not returned by press time.

The controversy began last Friday after photos of two males, allegedly St. Francis students, decked out in Klan-style robes were distributed through the photo messaging app Snapchat.

The two students were invited guests at a student-organized “white party.”

Popularized by celebrities like Sean (Puffy) Combs, partygoers are required to attend decked out head to toe in white.

For the Ghebrezghi sisters, of whom 15-year-old Rose was an invited guest, the problem isn’t as much about the intentions of the students wearing the clothing, but people’s reaction to it — starting with those at the party.

“When they walked in, everyone laughed,” Sarah said.

She alleges the two were praised and complimented by some of the guests for their costumes, who posed for photos before finally being asked to remove the robes.

“I can understand that the kids didn’t understand what their actions meant, and don’t believe that it’s an actual problem,” she said.

“But, it is.”

Born and raised in Calgary, she recalls stories shared by her father about the difficulties growing up as a black male in the city.

“I just want people to understand how wrong it is, especially in this situation,” she said.

“People need to be educated, to be made aware.”

“We should be educating our kids, and not telling them to ignore it.”

Rather than see the two students punished, Ghebrezghi wants them — and Calgary — to know how wrong their actions were.

“I don’t know how anyone can put that costume on and say they didn’t mean to offend anybody,” she said.

“It shouldn’t be taken lightly.”

[...]

##
Sisters Sarah (R) and Rose Ghebrezghi show a photo in their home in Calgary, Alta., on Thursday, Feb. 26, 2015. Rose is in Grade 11 at St. Francis High School; Sarah, who graduated from that school last year, reported to the school a party photo in which an alleged student is depicted wearing a costume resembling Klu Klux Klan attire. Lyle Aspinall/Calgary Sun/QMI Agency

http://storage.torontosun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297669086466_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=420x