(Teammtnqhubeka.com) Continental Championships #2: Merhawi Kudus (Eritrea) wins u23 Gold

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:09:52 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.teammtnqhubeka.com/?p=6969

African Continental Championships #2: Merhawi Kudus wins u23 Gold

MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung

The African Championships Individual Time Trial event ran it’s course today in Wartburg, KwaZulu-Natal. Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung had 5 riders take to the start ramp in Louis Meintjes, Reinardt Janse van Rensburg, Merhawi Kudus, Daniel Teklehaimanot and Adrien Niyonshuti.

In the Elite race an early fast time was set by Tsgabu Grmay (Ethiopia) and it would prove to stand the test of time with a number of riders going close to the mark, but unable to beat it. In the end Daniel would come home in the silver medal position with Reinardt collecting the bronze.

In the u23 race Merhawi would go on to be a cut above the rest by posting the fastest time of the day, winning the Gold medal. Valens Ndayisenga (Rwanda) took silver and Adil Barbari (Algeria) the bronze medal. Focus now shifts to Saturdays road race which is expected to be a close battle.

Merhawi Kudus – Rider

I am happy with my ride today. This is my 2nd gold medal of the championships and I didn’t expect the top step but I am happy with how the race turned out for me. My time trial has not always been my strong point but I am improving and this will give me some confidence for Saturday.