(CyclingNews) Natnaiel Berhane amongst cyclists participating at the Vuelta a España race

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 17:05:47 -0400

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/meintjes-cummings-and-berhane-headline-for-mtn-qhubeka-at-vuelta-a-espaa/

Meintjes, Cummings and Berhane headline for MTN-Qhubeka at Vuelta a España

Seven African riders named in the team's roster

By Cycling News August 14, 2015 11:13am
Updated: August 14, 2015 11:13am Race: Vuelta a España

Meintjes, Cummings and Berhane headline for MTN-Qhubeka at Vuelta a España

Seven African riders named in the team's roster

Berhane missed out on selection for his debut Tour de France in July
but has been in fine form over the summer, placing 5th overall at the
Tour of Austria and 7th at the Tour of Utah. The Eritrean champion
will be at the forefront of MTN-Qhubeka’s bid for stage wins.

“I am happy to start my second La Vuelta. As Eritrean champion I will
have the chance to represent my country and Africa. I hope to ride a
good race and to continue where I left off in Utah,” said Berhane, in
his first year at MTN-Qhubeka after joining from Europcar.

Cummings, such an impressive victory at Mende during the Tour, already
has a Vuelta stage win to his name from his time at BMC, the Briton is
one of just two non-African riders in the MTN-Qhubeka roster, along
with Italian Kristian Sbaragli.

Meintjes lines up at the Vuelta eager to build on a mixed Tour de
France debut that saw him perform so impressively at Plateau de Beille
only to be forced out of the race through illness in the final week.
The youngster is one of five South Africans in the team along with
Jaco Venter, Johann Van Zyl, Songezo Jim and Jay Thomson.

Algeria’s Youcef Reguigui, winner of the Tour de Langkawi this season,
is also included, and he is one of three Grand Tour debutants in the
squad, along with Jim and Van Zyl.

“This team is about opportunities. We wanted to give most of our
riders the opportunity to ride a Grand Tour this year,” general
manager Brian Smith said. “Berhane and Meintjes will shine in the
mountains. Sbaragli and Reguigui will battle in the sprints. We will
look at opportunities for Cummings, Jim, Thomson, Van Zyl and Venter.”

Directeur sportif Jens Zemke highlighted the presence of seven African
riders in the MTN-Qhubeka Vuelta line-up, and explained the rationale
behind the team’s turnover from the Tour selection, with just two
riders doubling up.

“Our strategy will be very similar to the one at the Tour de France,
where we focused more on the stages than on the GC,” Zemke said. “With
two riders on board who raced in France – our Golden Boy Steve
Cummings who took the stage on Mandela Day, and Louis Meintjes – as
well as seven riders that specifically prepared themselves for La
Vuelta in the last few weeks, I am sure we can live up to this goal.”

MTN-Qhubeka team for the Vuelta a España: Natnael Berhane (Eri), Steve
Cummings (GBr), Songezo Jim (RSA), Louis Meintjes (RSA), Youcef
Reguigui (Alg), Kristian Sbaragli (Ita),Jay Thomson (RSA), Johann Van
Zyl (RSA) and Jaco Venter (RSA).