Sudantribune.com: Juba accuses Sudan’s Bashir of pledging to support rebel leader

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 00:51:17 +0200
August 14, 2105 (KHARTOUM) - The government of South Sudan disclosed that the Sudanese president Omer Hassan al-Bashir has told a presidential envoy that he would support the rebel leader, Riek Machar, to assume power in the newborn state by force of arms.
JPEG - 24.4 kb
President Omer al-Bashir receives South Sudanese former vice-president and leader of the SPLM-in-Opposition, Riek Machar and his wife Angelina Teny in Khartoum on 10 August 2014 (ST)

South Sudan’s foreign affairs minister, Barnaba Marial Benjamin, said in an interview with the London-based Asharq al-Awsat newspaper Friday that repeated accusations by Khartoum that Juba supports Sudanese rebels are baseless and wouldn’t help improving ties between the two neighbouring countries.

He stressed that his country doesn’t even have the capabilities to support that armed groups fighting against the Sudanese army in Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile.

“We have enough problems and we seek to resolve our internal problems,” he added.

Benjamin underscored that his government have got certain information that Khartoum offers direct support to the South Sudanese rebels, saying it is not in the interest of the two countries to engage in a new crisis.

“We seek to have good neighbourly relations for the benefit of the two peoples,” he said.

He revealed that Bashir had told South Sudan’s vice-president James Wani Igga that he would continue to render support to Machar until he assumes power by the force of arms and he wouldn’t help in the peace process in South Sudan.

“We were all surprised by [Bashir’s statements] but President Salva Kiir said he understands Bashir’s military [way of thinking] … we make those [statements] public for the first time,” he said.

“But we didn’t care too much for those statement and we still hope that Khartoum plays a positive role in resolving the crisis in our country and we could also help in the Sudanese crisis”, he added.

The South Sudanese top diplomat said that rebel commander Peter Gadet who recently defected from the armed opposition led by Machar is currently present in Khartoum, noting they would ask the Sudanese government for further clarification in the issue.

He said the recent major defection within Machar’s movement has limited his opportunities for leading a strong opposition, hoping that Khartoum wouldn’t offer support for Gadet.

Benjamin said he would officially inform Khartoum of his government allegations of harbouring South Sudanese rebels, stressing he will visit Khartoum soon to request expulsion of rebels from the Sudanese territory.

Khartoum and Juba continue to trade accusations of support to rebel groups from both sides since the independence of South Sudan in July 2011.

The Cooperation Agreement of 27 September 2012 provides to stop supporting or harbouring rebel groups, to establish a buffer zone on the border and to form a joint monitoring team to prevent rebel infiltration.