United Nations intern living out of a TENT in Geneva because he could not afford the rent quits his unpaid internship

From: Dimtzi Eritrawian Kab German <eritreanvoice.germany_at_googlemail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 03:30:50 +0200

[image: MailOnline US - news, sport, celebrity, science and health stories]
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/>
United Nations intern living out of a TENT in Geneva because he could not
afford the rent quits his unpaid internship
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3195938/United-Nations-intern-living-TENT-Geneva-not-afford-rent-quits-unpaid-internship.html

   - *David Hyde, 22, has resigned from unpaid internship at the United
   Nations*
   - *Pictures emerged this week of the New Zealander living in a tent in
   Geneva*
   - *International Relations graduate couldn't afford high rent in the
   Swiss city *
   - *He said outside the UN on Wednesday that it was his decision to
   resign *

By Emily Crane
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Emily+Crane>
<https://twitter.com/intent/follow?screen_name=_at_emicrane&tw_p=followbutton>
and Naomi Tsvirko For Daily Mail Australia
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Naomi+Tsvirko+For+Daily+Mail+Australia>

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3195938/United-Nations-intern-living-TENT-Geneva-not-afford-rent-quits-unpaid-internship.html#ixzz3iiFNRLYm

Follow us: _at_MailOnline on Twitter
<http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline> | DailyMail
on Facebook <http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail>
An unpaid intern has resigned from his position at the United Nations after
it emerged he was living in a tent in Geneva because he couldn't afford the
cost of living.
New Zealander David Hyde flew more than 18,000km to take up the unpaid
internship at the United Nations in Switzerland two weeks ago.
The 22-year-old International Relations graduate quit his internship on
Wednesday after pictures of him wearing a suit in front of his tent on the
shore of Lake Geneva caused uproar.
[image: New Zealander David Hyde, 22, has resigned from his unpaid
internship position at the United Nations after it emerged he was living in
a tent in Geneva because he couldn't afford the cost of living]

   - SHARE PICTURE
   -
   -
   -
   -
   -

+7
New Zealander David Hyde, 22, has resigned from his unpaid internship
position at the United Nations after it emerged he was living in a tent in
Geneva because he couldn't afford the cost of living
Mr Hyde told the Tribune de Genève
<http://www.tdg.ch/geneve/actu-genevoise/stagiaire-remunere-onu-david-vit-tente/story/19418942>
this
week that he was unable to afford the overpriced rent in Switzerland but
didn't want to give up his dream of interning at the intergovernmental
organisation.
Since his plight was revealed, Mr Hyde has received an outpouring of offers
of accommodation and even prompted people to go to the park looking for
him.
But a disheveled-looking Mr Hyde has since told journalists outside the
gates to the United Nations that he had decided to resign.
'It’s my own decision and I chose to resign because I felt that it would be
too difficult to continue to focus on my work as an intern at this stage,'
he said.
'I just want to make it clear that no person forced me to sleep in a tent,
but rather my circumstances and the conditions for this internship made it
the only real possibility that I could see.'
[image: New Zealander David Hyde flew more than 18,000km to take up the
unpaid internship at the United Nations in Switzerland two weeks ago]

   - SHARE PICTURE
   -
   -
   -
   -
   -

+7
New Zealander David Hyde flew more than 18,000km to take up the unpaid
internship at the United Nations in Switzerland two weeks ago
[image: The 22-year-old International Relations graduate quit his
internship on Wednesday after these pictures of him wearing a suit in front
of his tent on the shore of Lake Geneva caused uproar]

   - SHARE PICTURE
   -
   -
   -
   -
   -

+7
[image: The 22-year-old International Relations graduate quit his
internship on Wednesday after these pictures of him wearing a suit in front
of his tent on the shore of Lake Geneva caused uproar]

   - SHARE PICTURE
   -
   -
   -
   -
   -

+7
The 22-year-old International Relations graduate quit his internship on
Wednesday after these pictures of him wearing a suit in front of his tent
on the shore of Lake Geneva caused uproar
He admitted he lied during his internship interview when he was asked if he
would be able to support himself during his stay in Geneva.
'The UN was clear about their intern policy from the start: no wage or
stipend, no transport help, no food allowance, no health assistance. I
understood this, and in that regard, I have to take responsibility for
taking the internship in the first place.'
But he said that knowing the policies did not make them right.
'Call me young and call me idealistic but I don’t think this is a fair
system,' he said.
Mr Hyde's parents, who live in Christchurch, were not aware of their son's
plight until he sent them a link to the local newspaper story published
this week but said he wasn't afraid to rough it.
[image: Mr Hyde told the Tribune de Genève this week that he was unable to
afford the overpriced rent in Switzerland but didn't want to give up his
dream of interning at the intergovernmental organisation]
Mr Hyde was sharing a patch of grass next to other United Nations interns
who live in treacherous conditions - with no pay, transport assistance,
housing or medical care.
In the mornings, My Hyde would his tent, puts on his suit and gather his
gas stove and a few belongings in a backpack to place discreetly under his
work desk.
Geneva Interns Association (GIA) is constantly fighting to lift standard of
living of interns.
'There is inconsistency by UN that promotes worldwide values ​​such as
non-discrimination, diversity and participation, but which does not apply
to its staff,' a member of the Association told the Tribune de Genève.
The United Nations and its agencies in Geneva employ over 160 interns
annually and in 2013 over 60 percent were not paid, reports The Week
<http://theweek.com/speedreads/571211/unpaid-intern-united-nations-been-forced-live-tent>
.
A United Nations spokesman told the Tribune it was up to each UN agency to
determine whether interns would be paid.

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3195938/United-Nations-intern-living-TENT-Geneva-not-afford-rent-quits-unpaid-internship.html#ixzz3iiFbyqNz

+7
Mr Hyde told the Tribune de Genève this week that he was unable to afford
the overpriced rent in Switzerland but didn't want to give up his dream of
interning at the intergovernmental organisation
[image: The United Nations and its agencies in Geneva employ over 160
interns annually, many are not paid]

   - SHARE PICTURE
   -
   -
   -
   -
   -

+7
The United Nations and its agencies in Geneva employ over 160 interns
annually, many are not paid
'If I leave before the end, I will not have a certificate,' he told the Tribune
de Genève
<http://www.tdg.ch/geneve/actu-genevoise/stagiaire-remunere-onu-david-vit-tente/story/19418942>
.
He hoped to complete the internship and gain a coveted certificate that the
United Nations gives to graduates who complete an internship program.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3195938/United-Nations-intern-living-TENT-Geneva-not-afford-rent-quits-unpaid-internship.html#ixzz3iiFWgo1j

Follow us: _at_MailOnline on Twitter
<http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline> | DailyMail
on Facebook <http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail>