(SomaliCurrent) Ethiopian troops on the spot again for shooting unarmed Somalis

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 21:20:57 -0400

http://www.somalicurrent.com/2015/08/09/ethiopian-troops-on-the-spot-again-for-shooting-unarmed-somalis/

Ethiopian troops on the spot again for shooting unarmed Somalis

By SOMALI CURRENT / Aug 9, 2015

At least six Somalis have been confirmed dead among them a traditional
leader and four others have been injured after Ethiopian troops
stationed at Halgan village, Hiraan region in Central Somalia
indiscriminately opened fire on a car where a group of mourners were
travelling in.

Its reported that five passengers died on the spot while the other one
succumbed to his injuries upon arriving at the hospital. Sources say
the soldiers initially stopped the car and searched before the
shooting.

Meanwhile, the Ethiopian troops has apologised the shooting and
described it as accidental.

“We profoundly regret what happen. On behalf of the Ethiopian troops
we offer our deepest apologies to the families “, said a statement
released by the troops.

Just two weeks ago, Ethiopian troops were on the spot for killing more
than 60 unarmed civilians in Bakool region. Several other African
Union contingents have been accused of killing unarmed civilians in
Central and Southern Somalia. Ethiopia has contributed 4300 soldiers
to the Africa Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) in 2014.