(Siouxcityjournal.com)Document: Stabbing at Tyson plant in Dakota City was retaliation for insult

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 09:03:34 +0000 (UTC)

http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/briefs/document-stabbing-at-tyson-plant-in-dakota-city-was-retaliation/article_06a471fd-258f-5958-bfdf-bdf36ebec4dd.html

Document: Stabbing at Tyson plant in Dakota City was retaliation for insult

by GREG FORBES

DAKOTA CITY, Neb. | A Sioux City man suspected of stabbing a co-worker at Tyson Fresh Meats in Dakota City on Friday told investigators he was retaliating against the man for insulting behavior, an arrest affidavit in the case said.

Mahamud Mohammedali Abib, 50, remained in jail Wednesday as investigators continued to look into the incident, officials said.

Abib faces charges of felony assault, use of a deadly weapon to commit a felony and disturbing the peace, a release issued by the Dakota County Sheriff’s Department said.

Chief Deputy Tim Decker said Abib cut the victim across the throat with a knife at the plant, at 5200 IBP Ave., shortly after 3:35 p.m. Friday.

The victim, identified in the affidavit only by the initials J.P., was taken by ambulance to Mercy Medical Center in Sioux City to be treated for his injuries. Decker said his condition was not known.

Decker said he could not release information about the victim’s identity but that he and Abib were Tyson employees.

Abib told authorities he is from Eritrea and speaks Tigrinya, the affidavit said. He said through a translator that the victim would thrust his pelvis near Abib, upsetting him.

"Abib stated that he did what he did to send out a mesaage (sic) to the other team members and that he would not tolerate anybody insulting him," the document said.

One witness told investigators on the scene that he saw Abib stab J.P. three times, according to the affidavit. The document said the weapon was a knife about 5 inches long.

Abib told investigators he had recently started working at Tyson and that there had been other incidents between him and J.P. that had not escalated into a physical altercation.

Abib was arrested at the scene and was being held in lieu of $250,000 bail.

Worth Sparkman, spokesman for Tyson Foods, wrote in an email that the company is working with local authorities on the investigation, and he referred questions seeking more information about the incident to law enforcement.

"We value our employees and want to make sure they stay safe on the job," he wrote. "Everyone at our company works very hard every day to provide a safe working environment at all of our locations."

court documents in the Abib case:

http://siouxcityjournal.com/click-here-to-read-court-documents-in-the-abib-case/pdf_8d2c5e06-1ab7-5074-a0c4-ed8f23ad18ea.html