EU powers under fire as migrant shipwreck horror revealed
April 23, 2015
European governments came under increasing pressure to tackle the
Mediterranean’s migrant crisis ahead of an emergency summit, as
harrowing details emerged of the fate of hundreds who died in the
Allegations of callous disregard for Arab and African lives are
haunting Europe’s politicians as it was revealed that around 800
victims, including an unknown number of children, died in hellish
circumstances off the coast of Libya on Sunday.
The migrants had been been locked in the hold or the middle deck of
the 20-metre (66-foot) boat, according to survivors, which capsized
when it collided with a Portuguese vessel.
UN human rights chief Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein said the incident had
occurred due to a “monumental failure of compassion” by the
Stung by the full horror of the disaster, the UN Security Council
called for a strengthened global response to migration and human
trafficking, and the 15-member council voiced support for southern
European countries struggling with the refugee influx.
European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker called for a show of
“financial solidarity” towards the countries bearing the brunt of the
Mere “compassionate rhetoric” was not enough, he said during a visit
to Austria, whose Chancellor Werner Faymann would like to see massive
refugee camps built in North Africa to shelter would-be migrants and
British Prime Minister David Cameron called for a halt to what he
termed the “cargo of death” and the Times reported that Britain was
considering sending a warship to help with rescue efforts.
French President Francois Hollande urged Europe “to go much further”
in tackling the migrant crisis, and repeated calls for more maritime
and aerial surveillance over the Mediterranean.
Prosecutors in the Sicilian city of Catania said Tuesday they believed
the boat’s Tunisian captain was responsible for steering mistakes and
the reckless overcrowding which led to disaster.
Mohammed Ali Malek, 27, will appear before a judge on Friday along
with crew member and Syrian national Mahmud Bikhit, 25, who was also
arrested following the catastrophe.
He was questioned by investigators Tuesday after being arrested on
suspicion of culpable homicide, causing a shipwreck and aiding illegal
immigration. Bikhit faces potential charges on the latter count.
Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi described the traffickers who
packed their human cargo into the boat as akin to 18th-century slave
Prosecutors said the survivors had told them how they had been held
for up to a month in disused factories in Libya before being packed
onto the boat.
One man was beaten severely with sticks as punishment from moving away
from the group to answer the call of nature, according to a survivor’s
Most of the survivors and the victims appear to have been young men
but there were also several children aged between 10 and 12, said
Carlotta Sami, spokeswoman for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees.
“We have not yet been able to ask them about this but it seems certain
that many of them will have had friends and family who were lost in
At talks in Luxembourg on Monday, EU ministers agreed on a 10-point
plan to double the resources available to maritime border patrol
mission Triton and further measures will be discussed on Thursday.
Critics say Triton is woefully inadequate and are demanding the
restoration of a much bigger Italian operation suspended last year
because of cost constraints.
The survivors, who hailed from Mali, Gambia, Senegal, Somalia, Eritrea
and Bangladesh, were all recovering Tuesday at holding centres near
Catania on Sicily’s eastern coast.
Sunday’s disaster was the worst in a series of migrant shipwrecks that
have claimed more than 1,750 lives this year — 30 times higher than
the same period in 2014 — and nearly 5,000 since the start of last
If current trends continue, there could be 30,000 deaths at sea this
year, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) warned.
Italian officials believe there could be up to one million more
would-be immigrants to Europe waiting to board boats in conflict-torn
Many of them are refugees from Syria’s civil war or persecution in
places like Eritrea. Others are seeking to escape poverty and hunger
in Africa and south Asia and secure a better future in Europe.
Despite the prospect of further loss of life, a number of other EU
governments remain reluctant to expand search-and-rescue operations,
arguing that they only encourage migrants to attempt the crossing.
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said Europe should follow his
government’s lead by deploying military forces to turn migrant boats
“The only way you can stop the deaths is in fact to stop the boats,”
Australia’s policy has drastically reduced the number of
asylum-seekers arriving on its soil and deaths at sea but has been
attacked as undermining the principle of asylum.
Ideas being looked at by the EU including trying to capture or destroy
people-smuggling boats and a pilot scheme for the fast-track return of
migrants to their home countries.
Received on Thu Apr 23 2015 - 09:02:12 EDT