Caperi.com: Eritrea-German ARD follows German physicians to Eritrea

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 12:48:51 +0200

The German physicians travel twice a year to Asmara to operate on children with heart defects.

Among the physicians is 73-year-old retired heart surgeon Annemarie Brecher who wants to help children.

At first for Annemarie, it was strange to travel to a closed nation where thousands of people flee the country, and she was very skeptical.

Annemarie says that youth drain is a problem in Eritrea, because many skilled and young people leave the country. “We train them one year and the next, when we return, they are gone”.

However, the country’s achievements in health care are outstanding in Africa, despite accusations of human rights abuses, poverty, regional tensions and sanctions, the ARD said.