Commemoration of Lampedusa boat victims

From: Dimtzi Eritrawian Kab German <eritreanvoice.germany_at_googlemail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 04:49:03 +0200

Alenalki.com: Commemoration of Lampedusa boat victims
<http://www.alenalki.com/index.php/alenalki-news/444-commemoration-of-lampedusa-boat-victims>
http://www.alenalki.com/index.php/alenalki-news/444-commemoration-of-lampedusa-boat-victims
Published on Friday, 26 September 2014 23:31

[image: lampedusa]The Eritrean community representatives in Italy, on the
approaching of the first anniversary of Lampedusa tragedy (3 october 2013),
which caused the loss of 366 lives of young Eritreans, today announced
their intention to promote initiatives through out Italy to ensure that the
memory of a such tragic event that shocked the entire Eritrean people and
has touched international public opinion, may not be forgotten. In this
year spent in silence and sorrow, we have seen with consteration how the
Eritrean victims of Lampedusa and those who attempts to reach Europe
unsuccessfully were exploited in every way by unscrupulous organizations
when they were alive and then they suffered the indignity of being
manipulated for political purposes even after death. The prospect of
leading a hard life due to economical difficulties that Eritrea is going
through as a result of external pressures and unjust sanctions and the
prospect of a long wait for a normalization of which there is no end in
sight, encourages our youth to flee their country. They are pushed by a
well articulated project that shows them a better illusory life, also
misled by questionable welcoming policies practiced by some European
countries, so they start their sorrowful journey in the direction of the
Mediterranean coasts during which they get harassed in every way and
subjected to every kind of blackmail and violence without being treated as
human beings, but exploited by anyone who have something to gain or used
for political purposes aimed to denigrate the Eritrean government.

Still to this day while the Italian authorities are engaged in the
completion of the investigation and in the performance of legal
formalities, the Eritreans are awaiting the conclusion of the process
leading to the go-ahead for the implementation of the commitment made in
the days following the formalization of the news of the tragedy, to carry
out the transportation of victims in the country, so-called human rights
organizations have come forward to create agitation and confusion in the
families of the victims with the clear intention to obtain a political
advantage and also misleading even from the commemoration of the death of
many young people. And is our intention on October 28th together expressing
our condolences and our closeness to the families of all the victims of
this tragic event of our country by lighting candles during the meetings to
which they are invited to participate our diplomatic authorities and all
those who care about the fate of Eritrea, in order to reaffirm our
determination to remain united and not to allow others to take ownership of
our tragedy for purposes offensive to the dignity of our dead or hostile to
our beloved nation.

Eritrean Community in Italy
September 26, 2014