(The Guardian) Police failed teenage girl stabbed to death by jealous ex, inquest finds

From: Dehai <dehaihager_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 15:22:25 -0400

  Police failed teenage girl stabbed to death by jealous ex, inquest finds

Jury criticises Metropolitan police for not taking Thomas Nugusse’s
threats to kill Arsema Dawit, 15, seriously enough

  *
    Press Association
  *

  * The Guardian <http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian>, Friday 26
    September 2014 15.05 BST

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/26/police-failed-teenage-girl-stabbed-death-ex-boyfriend-inquest

  Arsema Dawit inquest: Police criticised over stab murder

Police have been criticised for failing a teenager who was stabbed more
than 60 times by her jealous and controlling ex-boyfriend.

Arsema Dawit, 15, was stabbed 60 times by Thomas Nugusse in Waterloo,
central London, in 2008.

The jury criticised failings by the Metropolitan Police, saying the
investigation was "insufficient" and not carried out in a "timely manner".

The Met Police said its "sympathies remained with her family".

Arsema's mother said she felt "vindicated" after the inquest.

Her family had claimed fears over Nugusse, 22, were ignored by police.

The jury at Southwark Coroner's Court delivered a unanimous verdict of
unlawful killing.

'Tragic event'

Nugusse confessed to Arsema's murder but could not be tried because he
suffered brain damage in a suicide attempt in prison.

In a statement outside the court, read by her solicitor Manal Fouad,
Arsema's mother Tsehaynesh Medihani said: "I have waited six long years
for other people to find out the truth about the circumstances
surrounding my daughter's tragic death.

"This case is not simply about a brutal and unforgivable murder, but
why, despite me begging the police to save my daughter, the police
failed to act.

"The jury, by their conclusions, have vindicated me and what I have been
saying from the very beginning."

Met Police Cdr Simon Bray said: "Arsema's murder was a tragic event and
our condolences and sympathies remain, as always, with her family."

"We carried out our own reviews into the circumstances surrounding the
murder.

"Work continues with an ongoing programme looking at the issues raised
by this and other domestic abuse cases to ensure learning opportunities
are identified and acted upon."

'Controlling and jealous'

Returning its verdict, the jury spokeswoman said: "The principal offence
was recorded as [actual bodily harm] and the investigation followed this
line on inquiry.

"Had the principal offence been recorded and verified as a threat to
kill, a risk assessment would have been carried out, which would have
recognised and prioritised the threat to kill as urgent.

"The subsequent police investigation of ABH was inadequate to a threat
to kill."

The judgement follows a lengthy legal battle by Arsema's family to get
justice for her.

In 2012, they won the right to have a full inquest heard, two years
after an investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission
(IPCC) found "collective and organisational failings" in the police's
handling of the case.

Arsema and Nugusse, who were both originally from Eritrea, had met
through their local church choir.

Nugusse, who was 21 at the time, was repeatedly described during the
inquest as "controlling" and "jealous".

Arsema's body was found covered in blood by neighbours in a lift in
flats at Matheson Lang Gardens.

The family are suing the Met over the case.