(Washington Post) ​Cross-country: Heritage’s Weini Kelati leaves her mark at Oatlands Invitational

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:25:48 -0400

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/cross-country-heritages-weini-kelati-leaves-her-mark-at-oatlands-invitational/2014/09/20/9b2183c8-3dbf-11e4-9587-5dafd96295f0_story.html
​​
Cross-country: Heritage’s Weini Kelati leaves her mark at Oatlands
Invitational

By Jason Butt September 20

Stopping is never ideal during a cross-country race. But sometimes,
something unforeseen can happen that forces a runner into an unforeseen
situation. During Saturday morning’s race at the Oatlands Invitational in
Leesburg, Heritage’s Weini Kelati’s shoe began coming loose. She looked
down and noticed it was untied, which put her in a bind.

In an instant, she had to decide whether to slow down and tie the shoe or
keep running and risk it coming off.

Kelati chose to stop. With a healthy lead, she could afford the seconds
that ticked off while she adjusted her footwear. When she finished, she
broke back into stride and held her lead, crossing the finish line on the
3.1-mile course first in 18 minutes 12 seconds.

Loudoun Valley junior Andrew Hunter won the boys’ race in 15:21, nearly
breaking the race record.

Kelati is new to Heritage this year, having moved to the United States from
Eritrea, a country located on the Horn of Africa. Kelati is living with her
cousin and guardian, Amlesom Tekai, and his immediate family, after
relocating in July. Shortly after her win, Kelati told Tekai that what
happened on the course reminded her of a story he once told her, when the
same thing happened to him.

“I’m happy, but didn’t feel good about having to stop and tie my shoe,”
Kelati said in her native Tigrinya language, with Tekai translating. “But I
was happy I was able to still win the race, even though it took a few
seconds off.”

Kelati, a 17-year-old first-year Heritage student with two years of
athletic eligibility, got out to a comfortable lead early in the race and
won by 32 seconds. Jefferson junior Abby Colbert finished second (18:44)
and Loudoun Valley senior Ciara Donohue (18:57) placed third.

Madison won the girls’ team meet with 109 points, with Walter Johnson (133)
and Washington-Lee (286) rounding out the top three.

Kelati said she’s been running for just three years, though her elite
talent is evident. Representing Eritrea at the IAAF World Youth
Championshipsthis summer in Eugene, Ore., Kelati ran a 9:12.32 in the
3,000-meter event, placing eighth.

Hunter was five seconds over the Oatlands Invitational record of 15:16, set
by Edison 2013 All-Met Athlete of the Year Louis Colson a year ago. Whitman
junior Evan Woods (15:55) and Westfield junior Johnny Pace (15:59) placed
second and third, respectively. Though it didn’t place a runner in the top
20, Brentsville won the boys’ team meet with 177 points, with Whitman (242)
and Chantilly (258) finishing second and third, respectively.

The boys’ race started fast, which forced Hunter to hold off on his kick by
about a half-mile. But once he reached the midpoint of the race, the
All-Met took off and won with a 34-second cushion. Barely out of breath,
Hunter credited his day to his training regimen.

“That’s how I train, a stamina-first mind-set,” Hunter said. “It really
helps with the last half-mile. I’m proud of how I did today.”