Must watch Short Drama: The Eritrean Identity Thief

From: Ypfdj Dallas <ypfdjdallas_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 09:44:02 -0500

As Eritreans we constantly face the challenge as identifying ourselves to
others. Identifying ourselves as Habesha is done more out of convenience
and puts us in a broad category including more than just Eritreans thus not
allowing Eritrean culture or history to be glorified on its own the way it
should be. But to identify ourselves as Eritreans allows us to single out
our amazing rich culture and history that we should feel honored to
represent. Calling ourselves Eritrean an identity we would not have without
our martyrs bravery is something special that only an ERITREAN can
understand. Here is the story of 3 young Eritreans who face the challenge
of identity in their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OznXS3ZyLls&list=UU-C3yualwYlKltY5sXoh2-A

*HABESHA*

HABESHA is an all-inclusive term referring to Ethiopians and Eritreans. Its
true definition excludes several ethno-linguistic groups in Eritrea and
Ethiopia. As Tom Killion (author of the Historical Dictionary of Eritrea)
suggests, "Habesha defines the culture that was produced by the fusion of
Semetic and Cushtic elements in the Eritrean-Tigrean highlands". Killion
adds, that it is "a self-descriptive cultural definition derived from
Abysinia, today applied to members of the Tigrinya ethno-linguistic group,
as well as Tigrinya - and Amharic-speaking Christians in Ethiopia". It
excludes several ethno–linguistic groups in Eritrea and hence should not be
used as a blanket term to refer to Eritreans or Ethiopians.

"The term 'Habesha’ is particularly a preferred word for those who do not
want to acknowledge the independent 'Eritrean' identity." - this is because
among those who do not recognize Eritrea as a sovereign state separate from
Ethiopia, the use of the term was an attempt to dismiss Eritrea's right to
self-determination. That being said, there are those who use the term with
no malice in their heart but simply as a term to refer to both peoples; our
hope is that we can bring awareness to the true meaning of the word.
--
-YPFDJ Dallas
"Building strong, patriotic and conscious youth"