TheGuardian.com: What's so bad about development?

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 15:35:10 +0200

What's so bad about development?

Third world or global south? Pro-poor or pro-wealth? The term 'development'
is a minefield that eclipses the real issues

 <http://www.theguardian.com/profile/deborah-doane> Deborah Doane

Monday 1 September 2014 07.00 BST

* Jump to comments (5)
<http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/poverty-matters/2014/sep/01/d
evelopment-ngos-third-world-global-south#start-of-comments>

The idea of "development" can still conjure up romantic visions among some
about helping to improve the lives of people in the "third world" through
sheer goodwill. Yet we hold on to the term and defend it.

We also hold on to the UK's Department for International Development or the
millennium development goals or, indeed, Guardian global development like an
uncle: worthy and charming, if occasionally drunk at inappropriate moments,
that, as a family, we hastily brush under the carpet and hope nobody
notices.

But for many working in the sector, the term that is used to describe our
work provokes reactions ranging from a mild cringe to pure antagonism. A
recent <http://www.survivalinternational.org/thereyougo> animated video
from Survival International perfectly describes what's wrong with
development. It has for years been peppered with misguided projects that
failed poor people. Phrases such as "sustainable development" have done
little to improve the status quo.........

Continue to read it in Words below:

Berhane Habtemariam