Worldbulletin.net: Ethiopia achieves food security at national level: PM

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 23:44:28 +0200

Ethiopia achieves food security at national level: PM

Ethiopian PM said that Ethiopia, which has long been plagued by drought and
famine, had managed to achieve food security at a national level.

World Bulletin/News Desk

29.05.2014

Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn on Wednesday said that
Ethiopia, which has long been plagued by drought and famine, had managed to
achieve food security at a national level.

"At a household level, we will continue efforts to attain self-sufficiency,"
he told a rally in capital Addis Ababa marking the 23rd anniversary of the
overthrow of the communist Dergue regime.

"We are proud to have erased the humiliating image which identified us with
hunger and famine," the premier said.

Desalegn said that his government - led by the Ethiopian People's
Revolutionary Democratic Front, which overthrew the regime of Colonel
Mengistu Haile Mariam 23 years ago - was leading the country towards "social
justice, good governance and economic development."

He also hailed as a maturing democracy the country's multi-party system.
However, he said, the country still had a long way to go.

"Ethiopia has more than 90 legally established political parties. Some
parties have chosen a violent path and formed an alliance with the Eritrean
government," he said.

"We will not allow them to destabilize our movement to prosperity and
democracy," he added.

Tensions between Addis Ababa and Asmara have persisted since a bloody
two-year border war - in which tens of thousands were killed - ended in
2000.

Desalegn also promised that his government would do its best to ensure that
upcoming national elections were free and fair.

Ethiopia Achieves Food Security: PM Desalegn

image002.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image002.jpg)