Allafrica.com: Somalia Declares 'All-Out War' On Al-Shabaab After Parliament Attack

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 22:42:17 +0200

Somalia Declares 'All-Out War' On Al-Shabaab After Parliament Attack

By Fuad Ahmed,

Mogadishu - In reaction to the suicide commando attack on the Somali
parliament building at the weekend, Somali Prime Minister Abdiweli Sheikh
Ahmed declared an "all-out war" against al-Shabaab.

"I order the Somali National Army to 'move now' to eliminate the enemy
wherever they are in the country -- we must eradicate this enemy from our
country," he said in a press conference Saturday (May 24th) after the
attack.

"We cannot tolerate that the enemy carries out such attacks on our people --
we must all take part in the war," Ahmed said, urging the Somali people to
help the army eliminate the enemy.

Al-Shabaab's attack on the parliament building was planned similarly to
previous attacks on Villa Somalia, the United Nations compound and
Mogadishu's main court complex.

Shortly before noon Saturday, the group set off a car bomb outside the front
gate of the parliament building, then gunmen wearing suicide vests stormed
into the complex, where more than 150 lawmakers were in session.

A string of smaller blasts and gunfire could be heard from inside as Somali
security forces and African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) troops fought
off the commandos for more than four hours before bringing the firefight to
an end.

Half an hour into the attack, security forces succeeded in evacuating all
but three lawmakers who were rushed to hospital with gunshot wounds. The
parliamentarians were evacuated through a door facing the Ministry of
Information, where they gathered until the situation was brought under
control.

No overall death toll was immediately given but official sources said 10
people were confirmed dead.

Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack and warned that more would
follow.

"We urge you to ask for forgiveness from God, to repent from the [wrong]
path you are on," said al-Shabaab spokesman Ali Mohamud Rage, addressing the
members of parliament.

Rage, also known as Ali Dheere, said the legislative, judiciary and
executive branches of government were a hoax not permissible under Islamic
principles.

"We warn you once, twice, three times... If you reject [the warning], the
mujahedeen will come after you," he said. "They will wait for you on the
corners of buildings and alleys; they will wait for you on the streets. God
willing you will not find a place to escape."

'Enemy to the Somali people'

The attack received widespread condemnation from Somali, AMISOM and UN
officials, who also praised the security forces for their swift response.

"The terrorists have once again shown today that they are an enemy to the
Somali people and the nation by continuing to kill our innocent brothers and
sisters," Prime Minister Ahmed said. "These cowardly actions have no basis
in our religion of Islam."

"The military operations that the national armed forces and AMISOM are
engaged in against these enemies of peace will be doubled down so that the
enemies of the people of Somalia will be eliminated nationwide," he said.

"These attacks show that al-Shabaab simply do not care about the plight of
innocent Somalis," said Special Representative of the Chairperson of the
African Union Commission for Somalia, Ambassador Mahamat Saleh Annadif.

"Yet again they are bent on their own selfish purpose and show no respect
for the well-being of ordinary people. And the failure of their attack once
again evidences the futility of their actions."

UN Special Representative to Somalia Nicholas Kay said he was "appalled" by
the attack.

"The federal parliament represents the people of Somalia and their hopes and
aspirations for a peaceful and stable future," he said. "Today's attack is
an attack against the people of Somalia for which there can be no
justification."

Kay commended "the prompt action by the Somalia national security forces and
AMISOM in responding to the incident" and said the UN would continue to
support the Somali people and government.

For his part, Speaker of Parliament Mohamed Osman Jawari said, "These
enemies will never derail us from our twin goals of achieving peace and
progress in Somalia: two brave goals, which though they may fight against,
they will never have victory."

National security minister resigns; many say 'not enough'

Hours after the attack, Somali Minister of National Security Abdikarim
Hussein Guled resigned from his post after 20 months in office, serving
under two prime ministers.

Guled had come under attack in recent months over a few high-profile
al-Shabaab attacks in Mogadishu, and just last week lawmakers tabled a
no-confidence motion against him.

Lawmaker Feisal Omar Guled said the resignation of the national security
minister was not enough. "It is not something that will satisfy us and we
are not satisfied," he said.

"The police and intelligence chiefs have to be held accountable. Clear
evidence has to be found for why several important government centres have
been attacked by al-Shabaab with ease such as the presidential palace, the
headquarters of the court and the UN complex for which no official evidence
was produced," he said.

Deputy Chairman of Ahlu Sunna wal Jamaa's executive committee Sheikh Ahmed
Abdullahi Ilkaase also said Guled's resignation falls short of what is
needed to strengthen the national security apparatus.

"The resignation of the minister will not affect Somalia's security needs or
change the poor policies and management of the government's agencies because
the problem is in several places," he told Sabahi, adding that parliament
itself is part of the problem.

"Parliament constitutes an obstacle for security because it has yet to
ensure soldiers receive their compensation [regularly] and because they
continue dragging their feet on the anti-terrorism law that would provide
strict guidelines to entrap these terrorists who are inflicting pain on the
population," he said.

"All praise is due to God who saved us from the al-Shabaab attack on us,"
said Zainab Mohamed Amir, one of the lawmakers present inside the chamber
when the attack occurred, adding that the Ministry of National Security has
failed to meets its obligations.

"Our problem is that the ministry that is responsible for security does not
seem capable to do the work [needed] to ensure security," she told Sabahi.
"A year ago the country's security was not like this. Now things are getting
worse and security is getting out of hand."

Holding security agencies accountable:

Director of the Mogadishu-based Heritage Institute for Policy Studies Abdi
Aynte said the attack on parliament indicated that the security agencies
have failed.

"The second biggest symbol of the national government is the parliament
aside from the presidential compound," he told Sabahi. "The presidential
compound was attacked in February, and now the House of Representatives has
been attacked after three months. This shows that the security agencies have
failed in their responsibilities."

He said the security officials responsible should be "held accountable to
the highest degree".

"If they cannot fulfil their duties, they have to [step down]," he said,
adding that AMISOM should not be blamed for any neglect in security.

"It is not AMISOM's responsibility to serve as a police force for the
government of Somalia," he said. "Police duties and ensuring public safety
are the responsibility of national security agencies. AMISOM's
responsibility is to help the government and the Somali people in trying to
regain control of places that were not in the government's control."

Aynte encouraged the Somali public on their part to hold the government
accountable so that a dependable security can be attained.

"It is important to note that three months ago when the presidential
compound was attacked, a cabinet committee was assigned to investigate the
events that took place and then to report back to the government and the
public," he said. "More than ninety days have elapsed since that committee
was appointed. I think the same thing should not happen [again]."