Awet N'Hafash! Victory to the masses

From: michael seium <michael.seium_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 14:18:32 -0400

Awet N’ Hafash! Victory to the Masses!

As we are nearing May 24th, 2014 twenty three years after the nation
of ERITREA got it’s independence our feelings of nationalism becomes
stronger and we all go back to memory lane and appreciate the
struggles that took place for this important victory of independence
that happened on that (May 24th, 1991) Memorable day.

Last weekend after finding out the long awaited disc by Layne Tadesse
has been released and can be purchased at the ECCC and online, I made
it my business to go get one. I have always been fascinated by the
sounds of Layne as his vocals have been and are a vital component of
his touring band as well as his past albums. There are even times when
he seemed like the re-incarnation of the legend Bob Marley himself.

Driving in the DC area the last couple of days with my speakers
blurring to the sounds of “Awet N’Hafash” I have gotten many weird
looks from on lookers and in some cases people asking who the artist
is. In the evening hours with the cool breeze flowing through my
window and a great sound jamming out of my car while I am sipping on
my ice tea, has taken me back to the days when I was younger listening
to the likes of Maxi Priest, Ziggy Marley and many other reggae
artists that made the day go by faster.

This year I would like to write about a new CD associated with the
Eritrean term “Awet N Hafash” translated to “Victory to the Masses”.
The album produced by none other than Layne Tadesse and his band 7
Seal Dub is one every ERITREAN should be proud of. It is soothing and
well produced and combines some Eritrean lyrics mixed in with the
English language. Its message is loud and clear and it encompasses the
struggles of every day folk whether African or non-African with life’s
beauty struggles. I recommend it highly and during this incredible
month for Eritreans, I suggest you jam to the sounds of Laynne Tadesse
and his incredible band known as 7 seal Dub.

Without getting into too many details I would like to point some of
the highlights on this CD. Summarizing this album is quite
straightforward. You can hear that time has been taken in making this
quality album, not just in the production but also in the vocal
content and deliverance.

First and foremost however I want to share my opinions of the genre of
reggae. While it is a universal beat most commonly made popular by the
legendary Bob Marley, its message sometimes praised the former emperor
of a country that had been brutal to the Eritrean people. However that
type of music has been popular in Africa for a long time and was not
necessarily created by him or for him.

Reggae in Africa was much boosted by the visit of Bob Marley to
Zimbabwe on Independence Day 18 April 1980. In West Africa reggae has
been popular since the 1970’s. In South Africa, reggae music has
played a unifying role amongst cultural groups in Cape Town. During
the years of Apartheid, the music bonded people from all demographic
groups. So having said that Eritrea only 23 years old as a nation has
also adopted the style in a unique way. There are songs that were
created as early as the struggle years that had reggae beats. But a
child of Eritrea living in the diaspora has taken it to a new level
and he should be commended. The Album “Awet N’Hafash is one that
should hit charts all over the globe.

Starting of the album Layne’s young daughter says it all “Awet
N’Hafash” and the song “Struggling Hope” featuring Ladee Dread and J
Ras” kicks it off with such a nice beat as well as words to long for
mentioning marginalized people and their stories of a tough life. Then
comes “Bless Me” written by Layne himself. The song gives you inner
strength and can motivate you to become a better person if you
appreciate the man upstairs. His hit song “Ghetto Corner” which also
has been put on video is an international sensation in my opinion. We
need to promote and market it as much as possible as it indicates
clearly that the poor continue to become poorer in a very unfair
society. Using the Ghetto as an example the song shows that life in
the so called civilized nations is not what it is cut out to be,
especially to those who are struggling day and night to make ends
meet. Then comes the song “Inspiration” which adores any queen in a
man’s life. This song also has a great composition and it’s message to
a loved one is beyond words. The other song I would like mention is
“Selam” translated to “Peace” featuring an Eritrean Minasie Haile who
by the way has such a splendid voice. They sing about Peace in
general. It starts of happy with a horn section and continues as the
song becomes more addictive by the second switching words from
tigrinia to English.

Last but not least the reason I wrote this peace is because the song
“Awet N’Hafash” a slow but smooth sailing song that says so much about
the people of Eritrea and how they gave up a lot for their
independence. Uttering it as their last word while dying many ERITREAN
Heroes have made it a popular statement and left their marks forever.
Thank you Layne Tadesse and 7 Seal Dub for maintaing Eritrea’s history
through your music. Layne should also be proud of his daughter and
family. His little one “Millena” utters those important words
throughout the song “Awet N’ Hafash keeping us alert at all times that
Eritrea’s independence did not come in vain. It came through the
blood, sweat and tears of our martyrs.

Layne Tadesse and people who put this compilation together should be
credited for assembling these excellent and diverse reggae tracks.
Today’s reggae music is quite fragmented and there aren't a lot of
great packages that assemble such a high quality of recordings as
“Awet”N’Hafash” (Victory to the Masses). I would highly recommend this
disc, you will not go wrong or be disappointed.

Happy Independence day to all ERITREANS!

Mike Seium

10168145_10152094959787832_2071029794_n.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: 10168145_10152094959787832_2071029794_n.jpg)