Observer.ug: Interview: Museveni speaks on Kiir, Machar sanctions

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 14:10:46 +0200

<http://www.observer.ug/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31648:i
nterview-museveni-speaks-on-kiir-machar-sanctions&catid=34:news&Itemid=114>
Interview: Museveni speaks on Kiir, Machar sanctions

Friday, 09 May 2014 00:45

Written by Edward Ssekika

<http://www.observer.ug/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31648:i
nterview-museveni-speaks-on-kiir-machar-sanctions&catid=34:news&Itemid=114#c
omments> 2 Comments

On May 6, President Museveni attended the UK-Uganda business forum in London
during which he spoke to the BBC.

In the interview, transcribed by Edward Ssekika, Museveni discussed the
fighting in South Sudan, the threat of sanctions and Boko Haram, among
others.

Q: On sanctions for South Sudan leaders who are standing in the way of
peace.

Well, if it (sanctions) is discussed by the IGAD (Inter-Governmental
Authority on Development) and agreed, it can it can be done. We used
sanctions in Burundi against the people who were in power there but
sometimes the problem I have with sanctions is that they are discussed at
the United Nations, without involving the region. But if the region checks
the leadership, it can be one of the pressures.

Q: One activity IGAD has agreed to, is the formation of another force, the
PDF (Protection and Deterrent Force), would you back this?

We backed it; we are the members of IGAD, yes.

Q: In backing this, are you then going to withdraw your troops because the
rebels in particular accuse UPDF of fuelling the current conflict, of being
partisan and not mere peace-keepers or observers?

For us, we are not mere peace-keepers. We have never looked for that job. We
go there to help the people solve the problem. But we are not partisan in
that situation because we stopped these rebels from advancing in the axis
where they were advancing, because they were violating the ceasefire, they
were using force instead of dialogue. When we stopped them, we didn't follow
them; we should have followed them. So that shows you that we are not
partisan; we just want to stabilize the country so that we allow dialogue to
take place.

Q: The rebels have at least accused your troops of backing South Sudanese
government troops and even members of the opposition [Ugandan opposition]
have accused your troops of being mercenaries paid to fight at the behest of
the South Sudanese government.

These are very interesting mercenaries who spend their own money to come and
contribute to peace; this must be a new concept of mercenaries. Nobody is
giving us any financial support.

Q: So, even South Sudan hasn't paid your government?

Not at all, not at all.

Q: So, are you doing this out of some kind of benevolence because you want
to help pursue peace?

Oh, I have heard the rumour 'my daughter', that there should be no
unconstitutional changes of government in Africa, so first of all we have
got a duty not to allow unconstitutional changes of governments.

Q: Some might argue that it's your activities that are stifling peace from
being pursued?

The way to defeat unconstitutional changes, one of them is for the
beleaguered government to invite a friendly government to support it. But
also the regional effort; because we happen to be near, you know South Sudan
is nearer to us, so we were the ones who could go there quickly.

Q: The situation facing Nigeria at the moment with Boko Haram, an
organisation that has parallels with the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), and
the problems you faced in Uganda. What advice can you give, if any, to
President Goodluck Jonathan in solving this situation?

The first problem is ideally ideological; it is to discredit the ideology of
these groups, which come and use sectarianism. You must show how bankrupt
sectarianism is, because they are using Islam. I think this is the first
line of defence. The second one is to strengthen the security forces so that
they can hunt for these people and punish them and rescue the children.

Q: Should they [Nigerian government] get international help to do so? Such
as western or regional forces willing to back them?

But I think Nigeria has got the capacity.

Q: It doesn't seem to have worked up to now?

. Yes, I think in the short run they could use external forces. But really
in the medium term, Nigeria has the capacity to develop a capable force in
my opinion.http://www.observer.ug/images/stories/Kiir-wt-muse.jpg

President Museveni with Salva Kiir

image001.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image001.jpg)