Allafrica.com: Djibouti: President Guelleh Tells Corporate Council 'Djibouti is Open for Business'

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 22:42:10 +0200

Djibouti: President Guelleh Tells Corporate Council 'Djibouti is Open for
Business'

Washington, DC - Statement by H.E. Ismail Omar Guelleh President Of The
Republic Of Djibouti At A Lunch Hosted By The Corporate Council On Africa

Mr. Stephen Hayes
President of Corporate Council on Africa
Members of Corporate Council on Africa
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank you very much Mr. Hayes. I am deeply honored to be hosted by the CCA
three times in this decade, all during the Presidency of Mr. Hayes, whose
diligence and persistence put this organization on a firm footing.

As you know I am here in Washington following an invitation graciously
extended to me by President Barack Obama, whom I and my delegation have had
the opportunity to meet this morning. The relations between Djibouti and the
U.S. can be described as robust and growing. We have shared interests in
regional peace and stability; combating terrorism, extremism and piracy.

We have deepened our partnerships over the years and have coordinated our
efforts, to tackle some of the region's most challenging conflicts. We will
continue to stay engaged; while encouraging and promoting US private sector
investment in Djibouti, particularly in energy generation. My country is
blessed with a large potential of geothermal as well as solar and wind
energy. We have already secured some initial funding for all these sources
of energy; but it is not adequate. We are therefore seeking reliable and
resourceful investors in the field of geothermal energy, which is a top
priority for our future needs.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Although at independence we inherited nothing worth mentioning, over the
last three decades of existence we have learnt to be resilient and
tenacious. We have learnt to thrive and grow while addressing the
multifaceted challenges of scarce resources, and the pressing demands of our
people. Today, I must say, we are proud of our achievements and confident of
our future. We have built an economy whose mainstay are services:---
shipping, transshipment and trade. And, because of our strategic
geographical position and our excellent port infrastructure, Djibouti is
poised to become a regional gateway to the sea. Within the next couple of
years, Djibouti will have, in addition to the existing ones, several
specialized ports; and new railways, principally catering to the needs of
Ethiopia --- as its gateway to the sea.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Djibouti is open for business. The understanding we have with our economic
partners include to improve the business environment and reduce
vulnerability; while focusing on energy, urban poverty reduction, education,
health, and continuously enhancing the effectiveness of our port
infrastructure and facilities.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We are delighted that President Obama will meet the leaders of the African
continent in August, underscoring the growing strong relationship, embracing
economic development, peace and security. In the Horn of Africa, we are
deeply saddened by the plunge of South Sudan into unspeakable violence, with
the potential of huge food scarcity and economic devastation. Our region is
in crucial engagement with the parties concerned to avert further crisis.
Somalia has made steady strides over the last one year and we hope
commitments made toward its peace and security, reconciliation, and economic
development will materialize in due course.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Finally, let me deeply thank once again Mr. Hayes and his membership, and
wish to tell them that Djibouti is awaiting their visits as well as their
investments.

Thank you all!