(Fort Morgan Times, Colorado0 ) Candidate Joe Neguse amongst speakers Big 10 Dinner

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 12:47:45 -0400

http://www.fortmorgantimes.com/fort-morgan-local-news/ci_25702570/candidates-speak-at-big-10-dinner-morgan-county-democrats?source=rss

Morgan County Democrats

Candidates speak at Big 10 Dinner

Neguse Democratic nominee for Secretary of State
By Rachel Alexander

Times Editor

Secretary of State candidate, Joe Neguse, speaks during the Morgan County
Democrats Big 10 Dinner Saturday at Elaine's Place. (Rachel Alexander /
Fort Morgan Times)
Judy Blake, candidate for county clerk, speaks during the Morgan County
Democrats' Big 10 dinner. (Rachel Alexander / Fort Morgan Times)

The Morgan County Democrats, Saturday, gathered at Elaine's Place to hold
their annual Big 10 Dinner and heard from Joe Neguse who is running for
Secretary of State.

Neguse spoke about his desire to empower voters through the Secretary of
State's Office.

"It really begins with the right to vote," he said. "Ultimately the right
to directly participate in your democracy, a right that does not exist in a
lot of places in the world."

He said citizens' rights to vote have been "under attack" across the
country, including in Colorado. He said current Secretary of State Scott
Gessler has been using "every tool in his toolbox" to restrict the right to
vote.

Sheriff Jim Crone speaks during the Morgan County Democrats Big 10 dinner.
(Rachel Alexander / Fort Morgan Times)

"I think the time to end that is now and I intend to end that this
November," he said. "I think we should have a Secretary of State whose
principle purpose is empowering voters. We have never solved a problem with
less democracy."

He also emphasized that he would improve the business side of the Secretary
of State's office.

"We could be doing so much more," he said. "I plan to do that if elected
this November."

Neguse is a business attorney in Broomfield and serves on the board of
regents for the University of Colorado.

He is a first-generation American. His parents fled a civil war in Eritrea
more than 30 years ago, he said.

"They were able to make it and achieve the American dream," he said.

The gathered crowd also heard from representatives of Vic Meyers, who is
running for the congressional seat currently held by Cory Gardner; and from
Sen. Mark Udall who is running for reelection.

Three local candidates also spoke at the event.

Sheriff Jim Crone spoke of his decision to run for a fifth and final term
as the head of the Morgan County Sheriff's Office.

"I think 20 years as sheriff will be plenty," he said.

Joe Segura, Jr., candidate for county commissioner, during the Morgan
County Democrats' Big 10 dinner. (Rachel Alexander / Fort Morgan Times)

He spoke of his accomplishments over the last 16 years in office, including
gaining the respect and support of the local community as well as other
state and federal law enforcement agencies.

"We're very well regarded and we're very well respected throughout the
community," he said. "I've got an excellent crew working for me.

"I'm hoping in the next four years we're not going to just sit back and let
time pass. There's still some things to do and some people to see and some
tasks to accomplish."

Joe Segura, Jr., is currently a Fort Morgan city councilman and is running
for a seat on the Board of Morgan County Commissioners.

"I've dedicated my life to the people of Fort Morgan and I'm dedicating
myself to the people of Morgan County," he said.

He said he wanted to work to unite the efforts of the county with the
efforts of the various cities within the county.

"I will represent all of Morgan County," he said.

Judy Blake, candidate for Morgan County clerk and recorder, also spoke.

"I feel like it's been a long time since Morgan County has had more than
one, very fine, Democrat, who has represented us in public office," she
said. "I think it's time for us to take it back."

She said she has worked at a government agency, Head Start, for 15 years,
and she expects that experience to help her in the clerk's office.

"I am going to work hard," she said. "I want to work hard to make all of
you proud."

Contact Times Editor Rachel Alexander at 970-867-5651 ext. 230 or
editor_at_fmtimes.com