A true hero never dies! His story will live forever: Tribute to Major General "Wuchu"

From: michael seium <michael.seium_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 00:51:27 -0500

A true hero never dies! His story will live forever: Tribute to Major
General "Wuchu"

"Harbegna Aynebirn eyu, Tariku eyu zwires"

     By now I have become accustomed to writing tributes to those who
have paved the way for my generation and many generations to come. No
one is immortal, as there comes a time when each one of us has to
depart from this world. However, before we go we must leave something
behind that reflects our lifetime contribution to society. I did not
know Major General Gebrezgabher "Wuchu" Andemariam very well but I had
a chance to meet him once in a social setting in Eritrea and my gut
feeling was that he is a true patriot. What I am about to write is
based on information that I learned about him and to let the future
generation know that through writing and maintaining the historical
facts of those who fought for and defended the ERITREAN nation, it is
our duty and responsibility to expose the heroic deeds of our past
generation. Their stories must be told and their legacy must continue
to be a part and parcel of our society. If we don't do it no body
will.

     A few days ago I saw a quote from his Excellency President Isias
Afwerki from an interview he conducted a while back and loosely
translated it says " If we look back at our struggle and the many
freedom fighters who made it happen, it makes one wonder if these
great people were real people" in reference to the miracles that took
place on many battle fields. And yes indeed Major General "Wuchu" can
be a prime example of that statement. He was known as a furious
fighter who was never afraid of guns and even though he was a head of
a military, he lead by example risking his life at all costs. It is
evident he was a hero of heroes as he had a few bullets stuck in his
body until his death at a very tender age of 64.

     The Major general's units and other selfless tegadelti played a
significant role in the military defeat of Ethiopia's army, in Nadew,
at Fenkel and many other battles that liberated ERITREA. Between 1978
and 1986, the Derg Ethiopian regime launched eight major offensives
against the independence of Eritrea, and all failed to crush the
guerrilla movements of Eritrea. In 1988, with the Battle of Afabet,
the EPLF captured Afabet and its surroundings, forcing the
headquarters of the Ethiopian Army in NE Eritrea, and prompting the
Ethiopian Army to withdraw from its garrisons in Eritrea's western
lowlands. Major general Wuchu and EPLF fighters then moved into
position in several parts of Eritrea. The Major General also
participated with other dissident movements that were making headway
throughout Ethiopia including the traitor TPLF fighters. The Mengistu
regime and the butchers in Ethiopia used "anti-personnel gas including
the internationally illegal weapons such as Napalm that were used on
innocent civilians, as well as other incendiary devices. But thanks to
heroes like Major General Wuchu, Eritrea survived and prospered.

He was also one of the people who played a big role in defending
ERITREA during the late 1990's war that was waged on Eritrea. He
remained committed despite the many media attacks and name calling in
defending Eritrea and he did such a darn good job, as ERITREA today
remains intact and stronger than ever. He simply was the figurehead of
the Eritrean struggle from a military perspective along with the
handful leaders. He was a battle ready proud ERITREAN son that
instilled the value of being a true nationalist that continued to
shoulder the responsibilities that were bestowed upon him to defend
the country from aggressors. May he rest in peace. A father of 8 and a
dedicated servant, Major General Wuchu always earned the respect of
many Eritreans because he never betrayed the nation. Paved with
sacrifice, living with a purpose, & Serving his nation until the end
he will forever remain in the hearts of true Eritreans that love and
cherish their nation. The "GIGINA"path is only traveled by those
willing to live a life rooted in honor, courage and commitment and he
was the embodiment of the ERITREAN nation.

May you rest in peace.

Awet N'Hafash

Zelalemawi Zikri swatna

Mike Seium