Embassyeritrea.org: Eritrean Delegation's Statement of the report presented by Special Rapporteur on Eritrea

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 15:16:43 +0200

 <http://www.madote.com/2014/06/eritrean-delegations-statement-of.html>
Eritrean Delegation's Statement of the report presented by Special
Rapporteur on Eritrea

Jun 18, 2014 | 10:17 PM

STATEMENT PRESENTED BY THE ERITREAN DELEGATION ON

THE OCCASION OF THE REPORT PRESENTED BY THE SPECIAL

RAPPORTUER ON ERITREA to the 26th Session.

Geneva, 18 June 2014

Mr President,

My delegation expresses its best wishes for the successful conclusion of the
26th Session under your able leadership. Eritrea is encouraged by the
support rendered and the acknowledgement of its prevailing situation by a
number of Member States during its UPR Presentation.

Mr President,

In the last 70 years Eritrea has been a victim of the geopolitical agenda.
As a pattern of that behaviour, the continued occupation of its territories,
the unwarranted hostilities and the unjust sanction imposed on Eritrea are
aspects of the reality that need to be considered as obstacles in its
efforts to establish a life of prosperity and dignity for everyone.

Politically motivated allegations disguised as human right issues have also
constituted another front, posing challenges to my country. Eritrea readily
acknowledges, like all countries, that it faces human rights challenges
which the government constantly fights and seeks to address. The
categorization applied of gross violation of human rights in Eritrea is,
however, totally unacceptable.

Mr President,

In the last few years Eritrea has worked to clarify the country's situation
and has responded to all allegations. I will not also respond directly to
the current report with its sensational appeals which cannot mislead members
in this house and which we totally reject. In this statement, my delegation
will share with the Council the following issues which depict our principled
positions rather than respond tin detail to the current report which is
totally rejected:

1. Strengthening Cooperation and engagement at international and regional
levels has been the major focus of Eritrea in the last three years. The
partnership with the UN has been consolidated through the signing of a
strategic Framework of Cooperation. Cooperation with the HRC and High
Commissioner has also been stepped up at various levels. Regular engagements
and interactions with the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights
and political dialogue with the EU resident representative and missions in
Eritrea are also ongoing, within the framework of the ACP-EU Cotonou
Agreement. It has also been meeting its reporting obligations to the UN
bodies.

2.Eritrea's commitment to the UPR process is a reflection of the internal
dynamics that drives development in general and human rights in
particular.In this context, the Government has accepted a broad range of
recommendations that touch upon the civil and political as well as the
economic, social, and cultural rights.

2. The political process constituted a significant dimension of the
development course of our nation building. The Constitution, the National
Charter and the pertinent laws have served as the basis of this course.
Hence, participatory political system at home and abroad has been evolving.
To further enhance the political process and safeguard the wellbeing of
Eritreans in the full enjoyment of the bill of rights, as well as
considering the progresses, experiences and challenges of the last two
decades, H.E. the President of the State of Eritrea on May 24, 2014 has
declared that a new constitution drafting process will belaunched to chart
out the political road map for the future governmental structure in Eritrea.

3. In the Development agenda, revitalization of the economy and the
integrated social sector transformations are manifested in the promising
economic growth rate and in the improvement of living conditions by
providing equitable and quality social services, including by focusing on
the disadvantaged. The MDG achievements also have been nothing less than
remarkable. But vicious attacks have been going on in order to undermine the
growth of the economy, stifle the new mining sector and negate the
development successes.

4. The National Service system has been very critical to consolidate the
hard won peace and defend the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the
nation, which is the legitimate right of every nation. Its role to
accelerate the rehabilitation and development of a country that suffered
from decades of war has been significant. Furthermore, it is contributing to
the socialization, upbringing and development participation of a new
generation. It must be born in mind, however, that the implementation of the
programme is dictated by the prevailing reality, and allegations brought on
the system are thus illegitimate. Furthermore, the accusation of children's
involvement in military service is totally unfounded.

5. Fighting against the tragic phenomenon of Trafficking in persons and
smuggling has also been a major task affecting the social fabrics of our
society. The pull factor dimension is crucial and evident. There are
involvements at various levels, including individuals, groups who claim
themselves as human right defenders, and some governments with political
agenda. The preferential treatment to Eritrean migrants in countries of
destination is also an additional incentive and a pull factor. Given the
seriousness of the issue, the President of Eritrea has called for an
independent investigation in his letter to the UN Secretary-General.

Despite all these challenges, the Government, with its limited capacity, has
been making every effort to address the issue through public awareness
campaigns, punishing perpetrators and enhancing cooperation with countries
of the region, the UN system and other relevant bodies. Such measures
including the AU led initiative held in Khartoum in May 2014 with the
participation of Eritrea will help the coordinated effort to prevent Horn of
Africa youth from being lured to criminal networks of human trafficking and
smuggling.

Mr President,

Having elaborated some of the essential issues let me now turn to the
Special Rapportuer (SR) and her current Report. The Government has all along
expressed its serious concerns about politically motivated country specific
resolutions that undermine constructive engagement. Eritrea, therefore,
reiterates its rejection of the resolutions that have established and
renewed the mandate of the SR as well as her current report. The concerns of
my delegation are:

* The SR has continued to deny the actual realities in Eritrea by
involving herself in a campaign trail to influence public opinion and act as
an activist rather than a mandate holder. Her behaviour and position has
been opposed, including through official communications of my delegation to
the Council and the High Commissioner,
* The selective and biased collection of information has continued as
a pattern of compiling her report and has failed to accommodate diverse
views which compromised her neutrality, and
* Although the SR met a number of Eritrean Government officials since
her appointment, she has not included the information she was provided with
in her reports nor did she refer to the official responses of the
government. This is a violation of Article 13 of HRC/RES/5/2.

Mr President,

Allow me now to give the following concluding remarks for consideration by
the
HRC:-

* Eritrea urges the Council to drop the Resolutions.
* My delegation reiterates its call to address the continued
occupation of sovereign Eritrean territories as a violation of the human
rights of the Eritrean people in the relevant agenda item of the HRC
* My delegation also urges the Council to refrain from accepting
abusive languages of the kind, "forced conscriptions", "forced labour",
"shoot to kill policy" and "guilty by association" in its documents that
denigrate and undermine the national laws of a UN member state.

I thank you Mr President

Read more:
<http://www.madote.com/2014/06/eritrean-delegations-statement-of.html#ixzz35
5evyZYY>