AFP.com: Shabaab urge Muslim uprising in Kenya

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:49:23 +0200

Shabaab urge Muslim uprising in Kenya

2014-06-18 13:57

Mogadishu - Somalia's Shabaab rebels on Wednesday repeated claims they were
responsible for two consecutive massacres in Kenya, the day after Kenya's
president insisted that "local political networks" and not the
al-Qaeda-linked group were to blame.

"The attack in Mpeketoni was ordered by the mujahedeen high command to
retaliate for Kenya's killing of Muslims in Somalia and Kenya. The Islamic
fighters answered to that holy call," Shabaab's military spokesperson,
Abdulaziz Abu Musab, said in a news conference broadcast by Shabaab's radio.

According to the spokesperson, the Shabaab attackers "controlled the area of
the battle zone for 10 hours" after entering on Sunday night before
withdrawing. He also said 20 people were killed in an attack the following
night in a nearby village, although Kenyan officials say nine people were
killed.

"Fighting against our enemies in Kenya will continue," the spokesperson
added.

"We are calling on the Muslims in Kenya to fight for their dignity as there
is no neutral middle ground now. Your religious leaders were killed, your
daughters were raped, your property was looted," he said.

"Use guns, knives and all weapons you can get. Fight individually," he
added.