Independent.co.ug: Engineering Insights: AFRICA IS SUFFERING FROM IGNORANCE

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 21:27:55 +0200

<http://www.independent.co.ug/component/wordpress/2014/06/engineering-insigh
ts-africa-is-suffering-from-ignorance/> Engineering Insights: AFRICA IS
SUFFERING FROM IGNORANCE

by <http://www.independent.co.ug/component/wordpress/author/ortega/> IAN

Posted on
<http://www.independent.co.ug/component/wordpress/2014/06/engineering-insigh
ts-africa-is-suffering-from-ignorance/> June 15, 2014

There's a man who moves around Busitema University area, no one knows the
highest level of education attained by this man. His outward appearance
shows, something is not right with some parts of his brain, however, his
unwavering message he gives to University staff and dons everyday is as
follows: "Africa is not a poor continent; Poverty is in Africa due to
IGNORANCE! He argues that, what Africa needs is RESEARCH and INNOVATION" Why
are we still having grass thatched houses, why are we still having low
agroprocessing and post harvest technology? It's because of ignorance!

Adding on that gentleman's words, I am saying, Uganda doesn't need KIIRA EV
which will cost 80m a unit (I am sorry Makerere University). Africa needs to
utilize her resources such as natural fibers, bamboo to make meaningful
products. It needs to lead in innovation of post harvest technologies, it
needs bicycles made of bamboo. Uganda needs to innovate products which can
boost rural economies, value addition and climate smart agriculture. Due to
global warming, It needs climate resilient construction materials which need
low energy demands..Uganda needs to utilize her fresh water bodies for
irrigation.

Because of ignorance, billions are lost in projects such as banana flour,
Kiira EV etc. Products from banana pseudostem can generate millions of
dollars that banana flour can't! Did you know that most of the vehicles you
drive have banana fibers? Did you know that Mercedes Benz is searching for
those fibers? Why fund Kiira EV yet you have millions without shoes.
Ignorance of both the learned and unlearned is killing Africa.

Ing. Sammy Rwahwire,
Doctor of Engineering Materials (candidate)