Stand Tall For Eritrea’s Fallen Heroes By Bereket Kidane,

From: Dimtzi Eritrawian Kab German <eritreanvoice.germany_at_googlemail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 18:49:09 +0200

Stand Tall For Eritrea’s Fallen Heroes
<http://www.madote.com/2014/06/stand-tall-for-eritreas-fallen-heroes.html>
Written By Admin on Jun 14, 2014 | 3:38 AM
7comments
<http://www.madote.com/2014/06/stand-tall-for-eritreas-fallen-heroes.html>

<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zKs5w-zNSJY/U5wkCtFvF1I/AAAAAAAAF8I/rFAPvyUCEBA/s1600/EPLF+Carrying+their+Martyrs.jpg>EPLF
fighters carrying their fallen comrade
*Stand Tall For Eritrea’s Fallen Heroes*

By Bereket Kidane,

Over the last 60 years, some 90,000 Eritrean combatants and countless
civilians have been killed and murdered by successive Ethiopian regimes who
wanted to erase Eritrean identity and later on Eritrean sovereignty.

Eritrea’s Memorial Day (Mealti Sematat) is observed on June 20, a mere few
weeks after Independence Day in order to remind us of all the sacrifices
that went into creating and defending the Eritrean State.

It is an emotional and personal day for most Eritreans and those families
of the fallen heroes who gave up their lives and limbs so Eritrea could
exist. Numerous public memorials are held throughout Eritrea on Martyrs
Day, but this day of remembrance is by no means confined to Eritreans at
home. An important bond is expressed by Eritrean communities around the
world with the State of Eritrea and the families of the fallen heroes on
Martyrs Day.

What is most striking is to see how deeply personal Martyrs' Day is to most
Eritreans. Eritrea being a small country, nearly every family has been
affected. Too many households in Eritrea have framed photos and a small
memorial corner of their son or daughter who fell in battle fighting for
Eritrea’s independence or in defense of its sovereignty. As a result it is
hard to find an Eritrean for whom this day is not personal. Each and every
Eritrean has a number of people they remember on Mealti Sematat when they
were young and full of life before they gave up their life so Eritrea could
exist. This can be a childhood friend, a neighborhood kid you grew up with
playing soccer, a brother or sister, a cousin, an aunt or uncle, or a high
school friend.

Martyrs' Day is one of the most solemn on the Eritrean calendar. There is
an awe and sanctity to it. Most places of entertainment and cafes are
closed on that day. Eri-TV and radio play somber music and sad songs that
convey the mood of the day.

Eritrean sovereignty is a modern day miracle that has come at great cost
and sacrifice. As we gather in our respective cities around the world this
Friday, June 20, to commemorate Martyrs' Day, let us stand tall for
Eritrea's fallen heroes. The memory of those fallen heroes should serve to
remind us of the heavy responsibility we bear as Eritrean citizens in
making sure we fulfill the dreams of the sons and daughters of Eritrea who
are no longer with us.

Zelealemawi Zikhri n Sematatna!
Awet n Hafash!

Read more: